The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automatic/Solar/Quartz doesn't matter to me.

I have read that the Miyota 8200 series were actually pretty close to COSC.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love accurate watches!

I use the Twixt app to get a feel for the accuracy of the watches in my collection.

The following are some representative examples (left to right): Mondaine World Timer auto, Seiko Bullhead auto, Hamilton Railway Special, original Ball Trainmaster, and, of course, the accuracy leader in my collection (including pure quartz movements), the Bulova Accuquartz (quartz-regulated tuning fork movement).

Thanks for the interesting post.

Best regards,

Ed B.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best I ever had was on my Miyota 8215 for a Boschett diver that was "thrown out" accidentally by my wife. -2/24 hours

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I too like the Twixt app on the iPad to time watches, but nothing beats a peice of paper and a log over several days/weeks against an atomic clock. You'll see why below.

Best: Rolex Datejust - Using paper log, it came in from the factory at +0.7 sec/day Now almost three years old it is still at exactly the same +0.7 spd.

Note that Twixt returned "+0 sec/day" which was super cool but not right so so I did it again, as you can see it returned +0 spd a 2nd time !

Quite honestly I don't need more than 1 minute a day from my beloved vintage collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
With the Twixt app, my Squale 20 Atmos (ETA 2824) clocks (watches in? :)) at +3.2s/day. My SKX is around +15s/day. Pretty good until I look at my 8F56 HEQ which is still tick-on with time.gov after 6 months!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
With the Twixt app, my Squale 20 Atmos (ETA 2824) clocks (watches in? :)) at +3.2s/day. My SKX is around +15s/day. Pretty good until I look at my 8F56 HEQ which is still tick-on with time.gov after 6 months!
Now that's impressive!

Be careful though, for these types of tests, for argument's sake, it could have gained 2 seconds in Feb and then lost 1 sec in March and 1 sec in April and been back to spot-on.

My Bulova Precisionist I sold claimed 15 sec/year. My 1978 Grand Seiko Quartz (see avatar) was claimed to be +/- 10-20 sec/year when sold. I have never tested it because it is clearly really close to spot on.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Now that's impressive!

Be careful though, for these types of tests, for argument's sake, it could have gained 2 seconds in Feb and then lost 1 sec in March and 1 sec in April and been back to spot-on.

My Bulova Precisionist I sold claimed 15 sec/year. My 1978 Grand Seiko Quartz (see avatar) was claimed to be +/- 10-20 sec/year when sold. I have never tested it because it is clearly really close to spot on.
I think you're probably right about it gaining and then losing such that the differences wash out. Frankly, because of it's claimed accuracy, I don't really feel the impulse to check it a often as my other watches....but it could be an interesting study!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's exactly what happens to non-Thermo-Compensated quartz. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
A simple Seiko 5 with 7s26 movement was running at +1 sec/24 hours. Much better
than many of my others, and more expensive, watches.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Glad to see you got your Kello to work. Are you happy with it overall?

I have heard mixed reviews.

Bottom line - is it worth $10 ?
It's earned its reputation for being difficult to get it to work properly, but once you do figure it out, it works well. What has worked for me is using a set of earbuds that have the microphone built in. Using the iPhone mic never worked for me. I attach the mic facing up on a mousepad using some Rodico, then I lie the watch on top of it with the balance as close to the mic as I can get it.

I'll try to get a few pics of how I've managed to get it working. The bottom line is that it's great -- if and only if you can get it to "hear" your watch. That's the biggest challenge, but once you've got it working, it's definitely convenient. I will say that the developer updated it yesterday for the first time in ages, and the update seems to have improved the mic pickup.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts