The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk about the Aussie Pogues, and after haveing recently restored one for Tod, got me to thinking about a watch in my 6139 project box that I've never gotten around to. Imagine that, a watch I can't seem to find time to move forward on........:) I've had this watch for quite sometime. Long before all the discussions surfaced surrounding the Aussie Pogues. That in itself had led me to believe this may be an original example. This watch took a beating. I received it with a smashed crystal and a dented case back and the hands were mangled. I was curious, I straightened the hands just enough to run, if possible, after taking that Bashing. Sure enough it did still run. Took a licking and kept on ticking as Timex use to claim. Here is the watch in question, with a replacement crystal just to protect what was left of the dial. As you can see even the logo was mangled.

The other posts I've read about the Aussie Pogues led to the consensuses it needed to be a 6139-6000. Humm, the watch in question is a 6139-6002? So with all the talk here lately I decided to dig out this watch and see what was actually under the hood. I first decided to quick set the day to see if it had a Roman day wheel. The crown + stem was missing (most likely borrowed for another restoration) I broke out a donor stem + crown only to discover the key less works were out of sync and the quick set would not work. That meant the hands + dial would have to come off to see what was under the hood. I had a little time this evening so off they came.
First the movement was popped out of the case.........It even started ticking just from a little movement.............

Looky lew, what do we have here? A Roman day wheel............:)

Curious minds wanna know, What's the date on the back of the dial? It dates to July of 75'. I'm inclined to believe it's the original dial for the watch in which the case back indicates June of 75' I've seen this on several occasions where the dial date is one month later then the case back date.

So, at this point I believe this is an original Aussie Pogue which would indicate that not only would they encompass the 6000 series but also the 6002 series.

Food for Thought..................:)

·
Special Member
7,244 Posts
Definitely nothing suspicious per se to have the case back a month off from the dial date code on the back side of the dial. Seen that more than a few times.

The 1975 part is what surprises me. Suggests they made these for either a long period of time or a few times with space in between. The Roman day wheel for 'that part of the globe' which by the way includes South American issues such as the 7016-7000 etc. is a good sign it is a legit A.P. and not a mutt.

The plot thickens.....

·
Special Member
3,321 Posts
Thanks Tom for sharing another Aussie Pogue. There seems to be more questions concerning the Aussie Pogue than answers. IMO the now famous Catalog photo showing an Aussie Pogue is the best solid evidence of their existence. From this photo only we know that there was an Aussie Pogue with a Proof Dial and a Stelux Chiclet bracelet was installed. I believe over time more evidence will surface regarding the Aussie Pogues. Looking forward to seeing more :)

·
Special Member
3,321 Posts
A recent pickup :) I imagine if I swapped in a Yellow Proof Dial with Roman Day Wheel installed I would have a very nice looking Aussie Pogue ;)

. . .and if I just happen to find an original Thong Sia guarantee booklet and original Seiko Box then I would have a very, very nice looking Aussie Pogue ;)

·
Special Member
3,321 Posts
Oh My Goodness . . . An Original Thong Sia Guarantee Booklet :) BTW why are they called Aussie Pogues when they should be called Hong Kong Pogues ? ? ?

·
Special Member
5,139 Posts
Is there anything special about the Roman day wheels or is it just one of the features an Aussie should have? Both my 6002’s have Roman day wheels. My yellow dialed I’m pretty sure was all original when I got it and the 1st chrono I overhauled. I still have the original dial which matches the caseback. The blue dialed is a build that I tried to get as close as I could to being the correct parts

·
Craftsman
1,704 Posts
All this talk about the Aussie Pogues, and after haveing recently restored one for Tod, got me to thinking about a watch in my 6139 project box that I've never gotten around to. Imagine that, a watch I can't seem to find time to move forward on........:) I've had this watch for quite sometime. Long before all the discussions surfaced surrounding the Aussie Pogues. That in itself had led me to believe this may be an original example. This watch took a beating. I received it with a smashed crystal and a dented case back and the hands were mangled. I was curious, I straightened the hands just enough to run, if possible, after taking that Bashing. Sure enough it did still run. Took a licking and kept on ticking as Timex use to claim. Here is the watch in question, with a replacement crystal just to protect what was left of the dial. As you can see even the logo was mangled.
View attachment 466088

View attachment 466090

The other posts I've read about the Aussie Pogues led to the consensuses it needed to be a 6139-6000. Humm, the watch in question is a 6139-6002? So with all the talk here lately I decided to dig out this watch and see what was actually under the hood. I first decided to quick set the day to see if it had a Roman day wheel. The crown + stem was missing (most likely borrowed for another restoration) I broke out a donor stem + crown only to discover the key less works were out of sync and the quick set would not work. That meant the hands + dial would have to come off to see what was under the hood. I had a little time this evening so off they came.
First the movement was popped out of the case.........It even started ticking just from a little movement.............
View attachment 466091

Looky lew, what do we have here? A Roman day wheel............:)
View attachment 466092

Curious minds wanna know, What's the date on the back of the dial? It dates to July of 75'. I'm inclined to believe it's the original dial for the watch in which the case back indicates June of 75' I've seen this on several occasions where the dial date is one month later then the case back date.

View attachment 466093

So, at this point I believe this is an original Aussie Pogue which would indicate that not only would they encompass the 6000 series but also the 6002 series.

Food for Thought..................:)
Tom, this will make a great before and after project. I want to see you bring this one back and hammer those dents out of the original case back. I would love to know how that happened.

·
Special Member
2,803 Posts
I would imagine some donkey tried opening the case back with pliers.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
5,180 Posts
I could never quite get Siouxsie and the Banshees, I'm obviously too young

My AP is a 6139-6002 with Roman day wheel, stelux bracelet and is October 1975. I bought it from a chap in Oz.

View attachment 466136

View attachment 466137
That’s a stunner!

Siouxsie is an all time favorite, it rubbed off on my 18 year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
5,180 Posts
^ ^ ^ Stunning Aussie Pogue . . . Everything looks so right including the President . . . Just Beautiful :)
+1

Does the black inner bezel make the yellow/gold dial appear darker in color, or do AP’s have a different hue?

·
Registered
280 Posts
+1

Does the black inner bezel make the yellow/gold dial appear darker in color, or do AP’s have a different hue?

The R dial is a darker honey colour than the T dial, and I think with the black inner bezel accentuates it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts