The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe it should be expected that a moderator is all knowledgeable on all watches or even the majority, to me that is not part of the remit of being a mod, if it is then i know i for one should not be a mod, i imagine there are many guys on this forum and on other forums who have forgotten much more than i will ever know or in fact want or need to know.

Why am i making this statement ??

Well a couple of weeks ago i saw a nice Seiko for sale on the TF one that i have always admired from afar and this time it was at a price i could afford with original bracelet (i do prefer bracelets) and by luck i had some Paypal funds (unusual for me) also the guy was selling another similar model and we did the deal for the two because a friend wanted the other one, well when it came the bracelet did not fit him so we decided as i didn't particularly want that one we would flip it on ebay. Now not being familiar with these models and only by sight and i am 10000% not an expert on them so i thought it was all original and stated as much in my auction on Ebay.

Well i received a email from a guy who is VERY knowledgeable on the models i bought and he advised me that a part of the watch was from another model making it a franken, i see loads of Bell matic/divers frankens but it never occurred to me that this was or could be "wrong" ( it wasn't a Bell matic by the way) and i never did any research on it as i didn't feel or think i needed too.

I then saw a quote from a forum member(who is obviously more knowledgeable than me) which read:

"someone who moderates on a Seiko forum should know better then express something as all original"

So my long winded rambling post is to ask the question "Should a mod know or be expected to know all things watch related ?" and if he dosent know all there is to know then does that make him unsuitable to be a mod ?

·
Registered
404 Posts
The answer is "no".

And the uncalled for criticism is laughable when coming from a person that knows not the difference between "then" and "than". Obviously the product of a government eduation.

And, as I tell all of the new employees here at the salt mine, no one person is expected to remember everything being taught them. However, it is a very good idea to remember where you left your notes and research resources.

Max

·
Registered
964 Posts
Of course being a moderator does in no way require being familar with the discussed watches.
I am a moderator in a Swiss forum where a lot of higher end watches are discussed. Do I know much about them - nope!
Besides from that, somebody can only know for sure, that he doesn't know everything. ;)

All someone can expect you is that you make a corrective note after being told, that something is not original.

Please don't let this get you down, John! Everybody with a little experience here knows you as an absolute upright person!

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Axel66 said:
Of course being a moderator does in no way require being familar with the discussed watches.
I am a moderator in a Swiss forum where a lot of higher end watches are discussed. Do I know much about them - nope!
Besides from that, somebody can only know for sure, that he doesn't know everything. ;)

All someone can expect you is that you make a corrective note after being told, that something is not original.

Please don't let this get you down, John! [glow=red,2,300]Everybody with a little experience here knows you as an absolute upright person![/glow]

Cheers,

Axel
I second that, Axel. I am very biased to comment on John since I love the guy, but anyways I'll try to access it objectively.
IMHO, the forum has gained a LOT OF class with his addition to the mods body. Gabe, Sir Les, Time and all the others are great, but John is the english acid humour touch that we all love and was missing terribly here to break the seriousness of the modding job.

Sir John, keep it up my friend. Don't let that ******* get to you. O0

Your friend
CHRIS

·
Registered
522 Posts
Me dear Father says.... you can please some of the of the folks some of the time and none of the folks all the time...
thus " Do your best, look your best, and be your best,....... and screw the rest !"

In my book John, you are the best.

Daniel

·
Registered
294 Posts
Absolutely not...

In my opinion, the role of a Moderator is to be one of fairness and consistency. A Mod should be reliable, friendly, honest, approachable and promote the forum. To have an intimate knowledge of a particular craft, doesn't go to make one a good Moderator.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Wow, some people have a lofty idea of what a mod should be.

I think you are a great mod and participator on these forums...

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
^-^ John, had to look up "Patootie" anyway I think your a nice guy you make me :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Bob.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You have precisely the correct qualities to be a moderator on this Forum. Accept and learn from constructive comments and ignore the irrelevant. Keep up the good work!!
John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Surely a SCWF mod should know the intricacies of each and every single model that Seiko has ever produced :D

Don't sweat it John, everyone on here knows that you're a diamond.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
:) Hey John,The England Keeper let in one of the worst Goals i have ever seen in a football match last night.Along with that England played their usual Mediocre performance.Just shows we are all Human and make mistakes from time to time.Dont Sweat it john.
Your a Star in my eyes all the same and a Trusted Guy regardless.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SxSDoublegun said:
The answer is "no".

And the uncalled for criticism is laughable when coming from a person that knows not the difference between "then" and "than". Obviously the product of a government eduation.

And, as I tell all of the new employees here at the salt mine, no one person is expected to remember everything being taught them. However, it is a very good idea to remember where you left your notes and research resources.

Max
So, umm, what's wrong with a government education? By the way, you need the letter "c" in "eduation"...

BTW, I am in agreeance that moderators are just that: moderators!

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Well John... Its hard for me to believe that you don't know everything related to Japanese watches.
All of us mods that had to take the SCWF entry exams had to score at least 92% and above in the technical specifications of Japanese watches,
and at least 95% in the Japanese watch history section.
Heck, I had to score 98% in the 'name that caliber, disassemble it and reassemble it in less than 3 minutes' section of the exam.

You are embarrassing us here John.
Hey, I got an idea. :p

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time said:
Well John... Its hard for me to believe that you don't know everything related to Japanese watches.
All of us mods that had to take the SCWF entry exams had to score at least 92% and above in the technical specifications of Japanese watches,
and at least 95% in the Japanese watch history section.
Heck, I had to score 98% in the 'name that caliber, disassemble it and reassemble it in less than 3 minutes' section of the exam.

You are embarrassing us here John.
Hey, I got an idea. :p

[/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]I told you I had to go for my dentures the day of the exams so couldent make it and therefore the examiners agreed to give me the average mark of you guys [/glow] ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts