The Watch Site banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never seen a 6010 without any markings at the 9 o'clock position, not sure I've seen it on 6011 either, but I know they exist on some 6012s (later 6012?). I can only say for myself, that based on the many contributions and pictures we have had in this great discussion, I can now start my search for a Seiko 6139 Bruce Lee and the only one I will be looking for is an early production, non-JDM, English/Chinese day wheel, black dial 6010.

Since there are inconsistencies regarding the dates of some pictures and the fact that his watch has never been explicitly mentioned in his journals or come up for auction at a credible house, I suppose there will always be a modicum of doubt about a 'True Seiko Bruce Lee'.

On the contrary, Colonel Pogue had the original sales receipt for his Pogue and it was included with the charity auction. That ought to make the 6139-6005 to be the 'One & Only True Pogue', but other gold dial models are constantly called Pogues.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So maybe mine is the correct one... scratches on the crystal could be from the wiry hair on Chuck Norris's shoulders!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wonder where the actual watch Bruce Lee owned is now. I found an unrelated, off-topic tidbit. The red, right-hand drive, 1972 Mercedes-Benz 350 SL R107 he purchased and drove in Hong Kong was apparently shipped back to the USA after his death. I read that Linda drove it for many years stateside, though now it is owned by someone else.

Some books claim he had bought the car used for the equivalent of $12,000 US. The 350 SL started production in April '71 for the German and Euro markets and Bruce Lee is seen driving it by April '72. Other sources claim his was only the second R107 in Hong Kong. Like his non-JDM Seiko, the man had knack for getting his stuff early. Hopefully, his actual watch surfaces at some point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks to Seiko Hoarder for editing his original post to reflect the information learned from this thread.

I just want to add a couple of things I learned whilst trying to buy a True Bruce Lee last week. First, there are apparently non-JDM 6010s with production dates before May '69, which was when his mother or brother would have had to buy the watch in Hong Kong. I have yet to find photos of any though. Having heard that, now I need to track one down and buy it, though I'll pass on the Kreisler Stelux bracelet.

Second, speaking of Kreisler Stelux, that trademark was registered in Feb 1968 and indications are that the elongated oval bracelet was not sold immediately stateside. The earliest source I found that mentions the Kreisler/Stelux line in the USA was from 1970, when Kreisler Mfg Corp debuted two new display cases/cabinets/counters. The cabinet held some 120 existing watch bands - I presume these were branded 'Kreisler' only and made in USA. The display counter for the Kreisler/Stelux line apparently only had 5 watch bands, which should have been made in Hong Kong.

Sorry to be repetitive and pedantic,but Bruce Lee's original bracelet must have been bought in Hong Kong in May '69 and put on the watch from new. Hardly a significant find and it doesn't change the conclusion that Bruce Lee's was a Hong Kong market watch, just another tidbit about his watch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the contrary, Colonel Pogue had the original sales receipt for his Pogue and it was included with the charity auction. That ought to make the 6139-6005 to be the 'One & Only True Pogue', but other gold dial models are constantly called Pogues.
This is some amazing research, especially by Homeless Traveler and Seiko Hoarder. Some of these photos I had definitely not seen!

Personally, I liken the Bruce Lee to the Pogue, in that there were multiple variations, but with one "true" variant (as Homeless Traveler pointed out). While some insist there to be only one "Pogue" - namely the "True Pogue" - I personally don't think its misleading to call all gold 6139-600x's "Pogues." Same for the black dial 6139 Bruce Lee in discussion here.

I can confirm the bracelet for Daniel Dae Kim was a Kreisler one he requested specifically to make it more akin to Bruce Lee's.

Trying to track down more evidence of the original 6139 configuration owned by Bruce, hopefully I can follow with some conclusive evidence - stay tuned!

Nick
DC Vintage Watches

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can confirm the bracelet for Daniel Dae Kim was a Kreisler one he requested specifically to make it more akin to Bruce Lee's.
Nick, was that bracelet you sourced for Kim a made-in-Hong Kong 'Kreisler Stelux'? I don't think that bracelet was ever branded as just 'Kreisler'. If it was, please correct me.

I have had a few chances to acquire a true Bruce Lee 6010, but am still holding out for an earlier non-JDM model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't recall - but that sounds to be the case! I know my research into it revealed the one we bought at the time to be almost certainly correct. Apologies for the shorthand ref

Still waiting for the person to respond, re: proof on the correct Bruce Lee variant he wore - TBD for now...

·
Registered
131 Posts
This has been a fascinating discussion, and I hate it because now I have one more vintage seiko to look out for in my watch collecting journey!!!!

Blast and botherations......

Neel

61 - 70 of 70 Posts