The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the QT-99 just over three weeks ago and i promptly tested a few of my 7546/7548/7549 to see how they were running.

This is just one of the results achieved with my "1000M" TST.

On the tester it showed it was running .40 seconds a day fast which i can believe because every couple of months i would reset the time if i thought about it as it would be about half a min fast not that it bothered me but.................:)

So first of all i checked how the QT-99 said it was running (.40) and without regulating it i let it run for 14 days and it gained approx 6 seconds, imo hard with your normal eyesight to be much better than one second when comparing with the the Time clock.

I then regulated it by adjusting the trimmer (7548) and got it down to +0.03 seconds a day (I can live with that :) ) and i have been keeping a daily check on the time keeping and after 10 days it is still within 1 (one) second of actual time, pretty happy with that.

Regulating a quartz with the GT-99 is sooooo easy and quick.

How accurate does a quartz have to be to be classed as a HEQ ? :)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think HAQ has more to do with the movement's ability to deal with temperature fluctuations.

I have a 7548 that gains less than 1 second per month, but it's sitting in a box. If I were to wear it for an extended period, the rate might change considerably.

In any case, congratulations on acquiring a fine piece of machinery!

Myles

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The 8F56s are rated at 20secs/year but guys say this is not really accurate. My dual compensator Omega with the 1441 caliber is rated at 10secs/year +-.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Not sure what the requirements. But for me personally, apart from accuracy, it should be thermo-compensated and able to be regulated. :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I've always thought of HEQ as an electrically powered thermocompensated quartz watch that doesn't rely on external timekeeping sources, that costs and is marketed in the same range as other generally recognised luxury watches.

I'd say by means of adjustment not design yours is HAQ, high accuracy quartz.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
After reading this thread on HEQ I decided to wear my Chronomaster today.

I purchased this at the start of July 2011 and have never adjusted it. It was set to the exact time when purchased in Japan.

It has sat in a draw and been worn for a 3-4 days at a time on around half a dozen occasions. It is in a room that gets quite warm during summer and cool in winter, so is not in a constant temperature controlled environment.

I checked it this afternoon against the atomic clock and the watch as gained 18 seconds in the 3 years 3 months since purchase.

I would love to get a QT-99 or one of the newer model testers to see how it comes up.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi, John,

Just curious, how accurate is your Seiko Quartztester QT-99 machine in terms of xx seconds/year? :)

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, John,

Just curious, how accurate is your Seiko Quartztester QT-99 machine in terms of xx seconds/year? :)
Timing the machine over three weeks i have calculated to the best of my ability(so not a lot) that it is running approximately at + 0.0000362 PY.

In other words i have no idea :)

ps: The physical size of the QT is 325mm wide x 125mm high x 325mm deep, I wonder what size a modern machine would be ?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Timing the machine over three weeks i have calculated to the best of my ability(so not a lot) that it is running approximately at + 0.0000362 PY.

In other words i have no idea :)

ps: The physical size of the QT is 325mm wide x 125mm high x 325mm deep, I wonder what size a modern machine would be ?
Just had a look at the online manual. It says accuracy is 10^-8. I guess that means +/- 0.32 second/year. Not bad. :)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
On the official Seiko youtube channel there is a video showing a 9F Grand Seiko being given a general service. At the 25 second mark you can see a Seiko QT-2300 model tester being used.

Grand Seiko Battery Replacement

This has changed in shape a little but is still quite large. This model can display readings to 3 decimal places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts