The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new T2K741 in January that had apparent paint specs around the small-second subdial. Decided for the relatively small amount involved to test Timex's warranty service. So, took the watch off strap, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and packed it into one of Timex's prepaid return mailers (available free from Walmart). Included description of problem and proof of purchase. I may or may not see the watch again. If I do, I'll update here with the results. asleep

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Good luck man. for me, it's been my experience that timex generally does very good and cheap service. I've had them sell me parts (such as straps) directly, replace entire modules under warranty, and in one case replace an entire watch.

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Isthmus. That's encouraging. In case of dial cosmetic imperfection, I suspect replacing the watch may be cheaper for them than replacing the dial with the attendant labor cost. Or is that incorrect?

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up -- after three weeks, got the following reply from Timex CS:

"We don't show a record as of today, mail is behind, it should show up soon, it takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get in the process.

Sincerely,

Judy Hill
Timex Group USA Inc Customer Service. jh "

Conclusions: (1) If you "need it fast" (I don't), don't go the Timex SC route. (2) There are either a lot of Timex watches being returned to the service center or the SC's understaffed.
Further updates as known. asleep

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Well, a watch from Timex SC appeared in my mailbox today (1 month to the day that I returned the original) with a no-charge invoice. Apparently they sent a different watch of the same model, rather than repair the one I sent. The watch included a strap, which the watch I sent did not. Here's the problem, though, the watch the SC sent is not running and has a scratch on the crystal. (The crystal on the one I sent for repair was scratch free). And the back of the case is engraved, "Sample X". (What appears to have been sent is one from a saleman's sample case which is probably a case/crystal/hands/strap only with no movement/battery). To the SC's credit, when I called to report this, the SC rep said, with apologies for inconvenience, she would send out another watch and a pre-paid mailer to return the "sample" watch.
All-in-all, I have to give Timex at least an "E" for effort; from what I've read some warranty service on some watches more expensive than Timex hasn't been as good.

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final chapter (almost). Got a refurbished, running T2K741, with strap, from the SC today. No major scratches. Dial perfect. Only awaiting the receipt of the prepaid mailer or shipping instructions from Timex to return the inoperative watch to them. I have no problem paying for the return shipping to them considering that they have already absorbed the costs of (and did not invoice me for):

1. Shipping of the cosmetically defective watch to them.
2. Shipping an inoperative replacement watch to me.
3. Shipping a operating replacement watch to me.
4. An extra new OE strap for the watch (mine was sent for repair "head only".)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Ah yes my faith in Timex CS is restored. ;D

A month and a half and you got a brand replacement. Sounds like you made out OK. and in faster time than it often takes much larger companies. Pretty impressive when you think of the type of pieces (low cost, high volume) that Timex tends to sell. Great to hear it all worked out well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts