The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone point me in the direction of a firm or person that can teflon or ceramic coat a stainless steel case for me. I'm looking for a satin or semi-gloss black finish. :)
Rod

·
Registered
530 Posts
If I was looking to plate a watch I would go with the methods that wear the best which are PVD and ion plate. Teflon tends to have kind of a dull look to it and doesn't wear as well.

·
Banned
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, this has give me the info i need to keep going on the "planing" stage of my first mod :D Anyone on the forum do PVD or ion plating??

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
NelsonE said:
If I was looking to plate a watch I would go with the methods that wear the best which are PVD and ion plate. Teflon tends to have kind of a dull look to it and doesn't wear as well.
PVD and Ion Plating are the same thing. PVD is the process and Ion Plating is one of the methods of applying PVD. IIRC there are a couple of other methods and not all PVD is the same.

Coatings like Teflon and Ceramic are not plating. These coatings are literally applied and baked on, not unlike how you would do the glossy finish on a pot in a kiln. the reason the finish is dull in Teflon and Ceramic is because in order for these coatings to attach securely, the underlying surface needs to be relatively rough. As a result, most pieces that use this kinds of coatings get media blasted first. preparing the surface in this manner when doing PVD or plating of any kind, because there the bond is at a molecular level.

The thing to take is that none of these coatings were developed for impact resistance (except maybe DLC). They were all developed for chemical protection of the underlying metal. All of them are prone to physical damage and each has pros and cons in this regard. for example, PVD is the most impact resistant, but it is also impossible to repair and the hardest to remove if you wish to restore it. Teflon is the least resistant, but the cheapest to apply and the easiest to remove. Ceramic is somewhere in between.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts