The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apparently this is the new SBEX001 model, it was leaked on WUS a while ago from someone taking a picture of a catalog: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/5-...-original-pics-p6-1558650-6.html#post13029450

The speccs will supposedly be 1000m water resistance, high-beat 36bph 8L55 movement, titanium case with diashield treatment and a price of 650 000 JPY. That's really expensive...

I wonder what the size of the case will be? If you look at the catalog picture and compare it to the tunas, which will be 50mm if I'm not mistaken, and view the size of the crown, dial and markers in relation with the rest of the case, I feel 45 or 46mm sounds about right? What do you think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool. Since those hex screws are showing up there, they must be an integral part of the case and not just the endlinks of the bracelet?

I'm not so sure I like the hour hand too much, it seems like it is 25% smaller than it should be to my eyes? I think what makes me feel that way is that the back of the minute hand protrudes almost as much into the dial as the hour hand, which makes it a little "confusing". Oh well, my impression could easily change once I see more pictures of it during Basel, it sure wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow okay, apparently it will have a case diameter of 48,2mm and be 19,7mm tall. That's just unnecessarily big in my opinion. I wonder why Seiko went "overboard" like this with it?

The round design of the Seiko Tuna is one where the size can look manageable even at 48-50mm, but I'm not so sure about this. Where most people can pull of the 44mm of the MM300, making this 48mm will probably exclude people with wrists under 8 inches completely.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Some bad pics from the six new divers include the new MM,

image.jpg
image_1.jpg

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Cool. Since those hex screws are showing up there, they must be an integral part of the case and not just the endlinks of the bracelet?

I'm not so sure I like the hour hand too much, it seems like it is 25% smaller than it should be to my eyes?
I was also hoping that the hex sections were part of the bracelet end pieces and not the case.

This was one thing that has always kept me from purchasing a SBDB001. Hopefully this design does not limit the band and bracelet options for the new model.

I also feel that the hex section is something that the design may not date kindly and it does not really appeal to me.

I will also need to see some more photos or one in the flesh to decide if I like it but I prefer the hour hand to the windows mouse pointer version used on the new tunas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was also hoping that the hex sections were part of the bracelet end pieces and not the case.

This was one thing that has always kept me from purchasing a SBDB001. Hopefully this design does not limit the band and bracelet options for the new model.

I also feel that the hex section is something that the design may not date kindly and it does not really appeal to me.

I will also need to see some more photos or one in the flesh to decide if I like it but I prefer the hour hand to the windows mouse pointer version used on the new tunas.
Yeah, I think the hex screw part is actually there to hold the bezel in place just like on the Spring Drive SBDB001. In a way it's good that removing it is made easier as you have to go through it in order to service the movement, with the case being monocoque and all. But perhaps removing the MM300 bezel isn't any big deal anyway?

I agree with the last part about the hour hand. I also like it better than the "windows mouse pointer" look on the new tunas, though that has its charm as well.

About the size, it suddenly struck me that 48mm is the same size as the Citizen promaster 1000m, aka autozilla, which has become a real classic for divewatch fans, so perhaps the size isn't such a big dealbreaker after all. Both are titanium as well, which makes them easier to wear.

The Citizen is more rounded like a Tuna, which perhaps makes it look smaller without the lugs pointing out. But then again, this hex screw portion that is such a hot topic also makes the case seem a bit more "round" compared to the MM300, so perhaps it too will look at bit smaller on the wrist. At any rate, 48mm is pushing it, but still within what's possible to wear.

Anyway, it will be much easier to make up my mind more when I see proper pictures!

Really cool with a high-beat movement outside of Grand Seiko. That's something I hope they keep exploring in the future! :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Never mind the 48mm the 19+mm thickness is the real killer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts