The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm taking my Seiko 6139 - 6000 in to a local watchmaker (Shane Ede in Toronto for those who know), and I'm wondering what I should be asking him to do for me. I'm taking it in mostly to have the crystal replaced with a New Old Stock genuine crystal because as you can see the current one is very scratched up.

The watch runs great but I figured that while the watchmaker has it open I might as well ask him to give it a proper service.

This is the first time I'm doing something like this so I'm wondering what I should expect.

1) I've read in other threads about getting gaskets and seals replaced. Should I buy these ahead of time? Off ebay? Are these parts that should be kept original too? Or are they immaterial in terms of keeping the watch from being a "franken"?

2) I notice that the dial is a bit darker navy in some places vs. others. Is it possible the dial needs to be cleaned? If so, should I be careful of anything when asking the watchmaker to clean it?

3) Do the hands need any kind of attention?

4) I'm going to ask him to refrain from polishing the case because I've read that can diminish the value of the watch. It is very scratched up and has some dings on it. Is there a way to give it a minor polish to improve how it looks or should I skip this entirely?

Thoughts much appreciated!

·
Administrator
32,121 Posts
Hi, if that was mine and it was going off for a service, I would be asking for a new crystal, new pusher and case back gaskets and a full movement service and nothing else, I would also ask if the watch maker was familiar with the 6139s before having any work done.

Looks a nice one.

·
Craftsman
3,834 Posts
Hi, if that was mine and it was going off for a service, I would be asking for a new crystal, new pusher and case back gaskets and a full movement service and nothing else, I would also ask if the watch maker was familiar with the 6139s before having any work done.

Looks a nice one.
Yes to all the above with the key question being is he Familiar with 6139's?

The case finish can be freshened up but you have to know what you're doing otherwise the case can be ruined rather quickly. You're better off safe then sorry. Don't ask for anything other then a gentle cleaning of the case while the movement is out. Dirt + debris tend to get trapped in the pusher holes.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Personal preference here: When I take a watch in, I specifically ask that they don't refinish or polish the case - I'd rather have it all original with some nicks and dings rather than risk that they over polish and soften some of the case edges. Otherwise, I agree with the notion of "running well and waterproof": service the movement, replace the gaskets, polish/replace the crystal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. No, the watchmaker is not especially familiar with 6139s but he's easily my best local choice. I'm sure he's worked on them before but not any more than any other brands that customers would bring to him.

He's a true pro though, and he already fixed it for me once, it was missing a screw when it arrived from Japan and he got it working in a few minutes.

So I plan to ask him to:

1) Install the new crystal
2) Will order gasket set for pushers and case back (I assume aftermarket is fine for this, wouldn't NOS sets have deteriorated?). Is there a recommended supplier I can use for this?
3) Don't work on the dial
4) Don't work on the hands
5) Gentle cleaning of the case to get dirt out from the pusher holes (and crown hole?)
6) Full movement service

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Gasket sets are available from VTA on ebay. Adrian is a nice fellow from Australia. The gaskets fit well.

Search for "VTA Seiko 6139 Gasket KIT - for ROTATING RING 6139-6005 6139-6002 etc (All 4)"

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
The dial has a natural colour shift, if that's what you mean?

Nice watch. Leave as is. Nos crystal is nice to have but I might have just stuck a generic match on, think Spencer Klein makes them, and then keep the nos as a spare. Couldn't justify what I see the prices of crystals go for for these really but once done it will certainly look great. And it's nice to know its an original. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would also get the crown gasket replaced as well. I would be certain to request that he not polish the case. Many watchmakers usually include this in a service as a light polishing as practice but I would be clear as to not polish it. That is a very nice watch and if it were mine I would want it as original as possible. I think the crown gasket is the same size as the pusher button gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,834 Posts
I have the gaskets available and lots of movement parts if he runs into an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I've ordered the VTA gasket set that @Mr.Jones recommended. Thanks @SeikoPsycho2 for the offer of parts if needed, will let you know if he hits an issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it were mine, I'd send it to Spencer Klein and listen to what he has to say. Simple as that, no worries and a watch you can enjoy for many, many years to come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts