The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't get the title. Its not like Japanese watch manufacturers have abandoned mechanical watches. There's absolutely no mention of Seiko Spring Drive or Citizen's AQ1020 thermo compensated solar movement. I find that article one sided.

·
Registered
530 Posts
it also doesn't mention all the other Swiss outfits doing innovative things. I think the guy just happened to interview GP so he's really talking about them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it was meant to lift up the Swiss or bash the Japanese, I think it was just meant to pass on how Swatch was using various and, up until now, unusual materials.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think it was meant to lift up the Swiss or bash the Japanese, I think it was just meant to pass on how Swatch was using various and, up until now, unusual materials.
Agreed. The article is reporting on Swiss companies, not comparing Swiss with Japanese watchmakers. Hence no mention of the Japanese.
There is an error in the first paragraph:
Swatch—which in 1983 transformed dull digital watches into must-have fashion accessories,
Swatch 'transformed' analogue watches.

I would amend the title of this thread to "Swiss forced to think".
After relying on Eta for so long, the Swiss have to start finding a solution to the parts and movement supply situation once swatch stops supply in 2015.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts