The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first none Japanese watch in years, but just couldn't resist it, and other than the really uncomfortable (but presumably original?) strap I am loving it.
It looks pretty old, sorta 70's, but something tells me it isn't that old at all...anyone know how to date a Timex?
Jem

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Casiojem said:
This is my first none Japanese watch in years, but just couldn't resist it, and other than the really uncomfortable (but presumably original?) strap I am loving it.
It looks pretty old, sorta 70's, but something tells me it isn't that old at all...anyone know how to date a Timex?
Jem
8) 8) Timex Jem! As far as dating this one. Look at the numbers between 5:00 & 6:00 you'll see a series of digits. That tells you the movement caliber and year produced. The last two digits are the production year. For example: the last two digits on yous looks to be 78, so this would mean that it was produced in 1978.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mike- yes the last 2 digits are 78..so 1978.
Many thanks for that info.
It has a very modern looking 'gun metal' type casing which led me to believe it would have been more recent than 1978, and it is in pretty good condition except a bit of lume drop out on the minute hand
Regards
Jem

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers John! It's quite a sweet little find...same price as a coffee, which makes it even sweeter!
Regards
Jem

·
Registered
534 Posts
nice one..here is my found Timex from the early 70s, at a store I usually hunt for Seikos.....
Had to ask EdH about how to find the date too....simple handwinder, made in Taiwan at the time??

·
Registered
964 Posts
thianwong said:
nice one..here is my found Timex from the early 70s, at a store I usually hunt for Seikos.....
Had to ask EdH about how to find the date too....simple handwinder, made in Taiwan at the time??

[/quote]

Great!

Reminds me of our "photo exchanges":

[IMG]

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one Axel...

To be honest John, the lume is pretty average

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thian- I saw EdH's name all over the Timex forum- he knows pretty much all there is to know I'd wager
Regards
Jem

·
Registered
187 Posts
My first watch ( a Timex) had exactly the same military style dial, but was in a smaller round case.

In France they are sold under the Kelton name........ here's a snap of my Kelton Clement, which is also missing some lume from the minute hand :-\

1 - 12 of 12 Posts