The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with the SEIKO DIVERS watches with cartoon characters on the dials, all about?

Each is in fantastic condition, but are they supposed to be like that?

I am thinking of buying my first SEIKO or CITIZEN divers watch, and the ones I've found, including Donald Duck, make me a little uneasy.

They all date in the 80s and 90s.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Japan has had a love affair with many American icons i.e. Mighty and Minny Mouse as themes for all sorts of goods/items. Even Omega has a chrono with Snoopy on the dial!
These cartoon characters play into the unique Japanese propensity for cute (kawii) things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Japan has had a love affair with many American icons i.e. Mighty and Minny Mouse as themes for all sorts of goods/items. Even Omega has a chrono with Snoopy on the dial!
These cartoon characters play into the unique Japanese propensity for cute (kawii) things.
Thank you, thianwong1

So, I shouldn't be concerned with picking one up then?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thank you, thianwong1

So, I shouldn't be concerned with picking one up then?

I suppose that all depends on whether you are Japanese or not, I think I would be concerned if I suddenly had the desire to buy a snoopy watch... :grin:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Would the better question be, Who did the original Mickey Mouse? Was it original, i.e., sold with that? Or did some enterprising seller add it to the dial later?

I ask because it might make a world of difference between collectible and crap. Unfortunately here in my country, some sellers have a thriving trade in adding Mickey Mouse to genuine Rolex Oysterdate dials. Rolex made very, very few of these dials and examples with Mickey therefore sell for way above the standard dial models.

What I know of Seiko is that it made several model lines with Mickey. There was also a Lorus (which Seiko owns) Mickey Mouse line. What I don't know is which models these were.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose that all depends on whether you are Japanese or not, I think I would be concerned if I suddenly had the desire to buy a snoopy watch... :grin:
Agreed, but Darth Vader?
He's always cool.
And I was there in '77.
I may not be able to help myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts