The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am looking at buying a watch that originally had a 'sunburst' finish on the case but unfortunately has been polished. I have relatively successfully reproduced the more common 'radial' finish on a case but am not sure if a good 'sunburst' is possible. Has anyone done it with success and if so how?

·
Craftsman
3,723 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Glad to see that's still coming in useful, any questions on my DIY version (or g'diy as we say here in Australia!) feel free to ask.

Some of the 'high-end' watch service centres have lapping machines for refinishing cases, but they charge high end prices. I've not heard tell of any independents like Rocco who are doing the same in the states.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thats a great thread, I have been thinking for a while now on something similar that I might just have to try.
I was also thinking that a needle tip would be better than sand paper - but you would have to make many more and smaller rotational indexes.....needs some sort of automation :]

·
Registered
992 Posts
In practice I found that I tried to angle the stick so that the thinnest section of abrasive came into contact with the watch case. I agree with you, Tom, about automation, but my kids weren't willing...

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have an x,y,z gantry sat in my work workshop that does nothing day to day, just waiting for me to play with. I could easily program that to do the linear 'draw', and at the same time mount the case on rotational axis. Hmmmmmm, might be a lunchtime project....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts