The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received an orange sumo which I picked up used in a trade. Now it had some nicks and scratches on polished bits and brushed e.g. Lugs.

As I'm planning to modify including sapphire upgrade and polished chapter ring /minute track I thought I had better become acquainted with the Sumo case. The following were my findings...

Bezel removal - very easy on the sumo... If you turn the bezel there is a section with a small lip so you can get a case knife or chosen blade under the bezel to snap off.

You can see now that crystal is press fit - no surprise.

Reliable 6R15 simple to remove.

Crystal removal - again simple, just used a crystal press.

You can see that chapter ring comes out through front with the crystal and gasket.

Anyway, with the original dial and hands retained intact for returning to Sumo spec I swapped in a spare NE15B movement with MKII dial and hands.

I attended to the marks on the case and lugs before reassembly, but also brushed the bracelet top, sides and clasp as although I like the bracelet I think there is enough polished bits on the watch head.

Waiting for crystal, small No's insert and chapter ring from Yobokies after which I'll case it all up again.

The sumo is a great candidate for a posh mod if you ask me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now completed project with brushing of top edge and side of bezel; sapphire crystal; polished chapter ring; small number insert; white lume pip.

I'm rather pleased with this project as I had been waiting for the right one to utilise the MKII dial and hands. In the Sumo case this now represents a nice Seamaster vibe...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was thinking doing the same with mine. Like your watch a lot. Like the seamaster style
Mine ended up this way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts