The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, I have until the end of the month before my Warranty expires to get my Seiko Sumo to the Seiko Service Center in Mahwah, N.J.

My Sumo always seems to lose time and my friends timegrapher finds the amplitude barely cracking 200 (should be at 250, 260 270). :(

The main spring also feels very "light" (little resistance) when hand winding, though the power reserve seems to be ok.

This sounds like a Car Talk puzzler :)

Any thoughts on what might be the issue based on this info?

Also, how is the service from the Seiko Service Center in Mahwah, NJ ? Are they prompt, or will I never see my watch again.

Well, I'll report back to you guys what they discover and what service they carry out.

Thanks
- Michael

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can't answer your questions on the Sumo, but I can give you some feedback on the Service Center. I sent in a 14-year-old Quartz watch that was having issues. One of the techs emailed me 3 days after receiving the watch with an extremely reasonable quote for replacing the movement. I agreed, and received the watch back about a week later. No runaround, no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a Sumo and it had a pretty light touch on the winding, but it is impossible to compare without winding yours. If it is still under warranty I'd phone them and give them the details and see if they are willing to have a look. I found Seiko service absolutely fantastic, but I've never had to pay a bill as I was covered under warranty. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
At the moment I have 6 watches with the 6R15 cal. movement, one of them a Sumo and they all wind up lightly on the crown. I tested them a few weeks ago when I go my Timegrapher out of my curiosity and you should be looking for an amplitude of around 270+ degrees. All my 6R15's are relatively new and low hours.

In my view If I get 200 degrees after servicing a watch I am disappointed so if your Sumo is out of specification and in warranty I would get it checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts