The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed an order at amazon, for a Stuhrling, Analog Display ,Mechanical Hand Wind Watch . Does anyone know anything about these watches ? I have 30 days to return it if I made a bad purchase .

·
Registered
530 Posts
As I recall they are basically Chinese made watches. Many have basic Swiss Quartz movements. Think Invicta and that's about the quality.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As I recall they are basically Chinese made watches. Many have basic Swiss Quartz movements. Think Invicta and that's about the quality.
This is a hand wind watch. That's why I bought it because hand wind watches are hard to find, especially at an affordable price.
So what's the verdict, keep or return ?

I am not familiar with Invicta, what is it's quality ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Everything is relative. it depends what your idea is of a quality watch. Some folks love Invicta. On the watch forums they turn their noses up at them and the same with the one you are getting.

However if all you want is a cheap serviceable watch at those prices you will get what you pay for. For a little more you can get a Seiko or many other brands that are much better regarded.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything is relative. it depends what your idea is of a quality watch. Some folks love Invicta. On the watch forums they turn their noses up at them and the same with the one you are getting.

However if all you want is a cheap serviceable watch at those prices you will get what you pay for. For a little more you can get a Seiko or many other brands that are much better regarded.
Yes I know but will the better brand watches have the feature that I am looking for , hand wind and more importantly will I find it in a store ? As an example I went into a Jewelery store and inquired about hand wind watches. The only hand wind watch they could offer me was a $5000 Omega . The watch department in a large department store carried no hand wind watches at all. So you see the problem and why I turned to the internet to purchase my watch .

·
Registered
530 Posts
Handwind watches are not plentiful. Most department stores will carry common brands mostly quartz and autos and most jewelry stores carry more expensive brands.

However there are plenty of them out there you just have to search. Most will be brands you never heard of. Russian watches like Vostok make manual winds and Archimede does too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Link to your Sturling? What features? There are probably better available, especially if you consider pre-owned. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just placed an order at amazon, for a Stuhrling, Analog Display ,Mechanical Hand Wind Watch . Does anyone know anything about these watches ? I have 30 days to return it if I made a bad purchase .

I've owned a couple and have been very satisfied overall. If you like the look and are comfortable with the price you will enjoy; very love/hate type time piece to own... Liking the look and price is a very personal and subjective thing - if you buy/sell or catch/release don't expect the resale market to deliver your return on investment. The two I owned I either sold or traded for a loss... Did not mean I was not happy while on the wrist!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've owned a couple and have been very satisfied overall. If you like the look and are comfortable with the price you will enjoy; very love/hate type time piece to own... Liking the look and price is a very personal and subjective thing - if you buy/sell or catch/release don't expect the resale market to deliver your return on investment. The two I owned I either sold or traded for a loss... Did not mean I was not happy while on the wrist!
I am very pleased with my watch, it is quiet, accurate, comfortable and looks nice. I like to hand wind it as well. I'd like to purchase their tourbillon watch as well if I could afford it . The only drawback that I can think of is the lack of prestige factor, if one is into that sort of thing, eg. Rolex and I also don't know about long term reliability yet .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts