The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I got this Seiko Liner with a fascinating 3D mesh dial. While a bit unorthodox, it could be used for daily wear without too many problems.

The watch came in a set of two and I have now purchased the other one. Not as easy to pull off and even harder to imagine as a hit in the early 1960s Japan. For those who are still doubting, this is without question a mans watch.

- martin

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi Martin,
Very interesting that Seiko could have strayed so far from their usual dial patterns and general aesthetics. While the first one looks like a metal grid, the second one reminds me of a lace pattern. Neither is my "cup of tea" in a watch dial but they are interesting indeed.
Edit:
By "usual dial patterns and general aesthetics" I meant in the case of Seiko, for a dress watch in the 60's, something like this Seikomatic 6201-8960 with the "sunburst" silver dial and "castle tower" markers:

Thanks for the great pictures,
Cheers,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice pair you've got there! LOL! (could not let that one pass, sorry!)

Wow COOL dials those. Beautifully etched I presume. Very x3 rare!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
martback said:
A few years ago I got this Seiko Liner with a fascinating 3D mesh dial. While a bit unorthodox, it could be used for daily wear without too many problems.

[/quote]

Have you decoded the dial yet?

It may take a Cray with one of the CIA's decription programs or simply tilting at a sharp angle so you are looking across the surface of the dial. There just might be a hidden message there ;)

I like it even if it remains a mystery 8)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Or something like this in the movie Matrix...

[quote=nhoJ]
The first one reminds me of a microscopic view of a leaf.

[img]
[/quote]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Both dial patterns are amazing! Though Seiko et al watch companies now seldom venture into totally creative dial patterns as in your vintage models, the general pattern design gestalt seems to me to be a common cultural one. The first design is quite common IMO here in Japan if one really looks carefully, from an outsider perspective. For instance, when I first arrived in Japan in 2003, I quickly noticed manhole grating designs! Every manhole cover had artistic designs. So impressed, I began to document them whereever I was and collected them in a folder haha! Years later I read that it is law here, for safety reasons, that manhole covers have a non-slipping surface!

The actual design patterns in Japan tend to reflect nature, not science, as in another poster's MATRIX graphic shot. So, the first dial you show is quite a common pattern in, for instance building facade brick layering patterns, some fake wood (Japan loves wood) building lot separating molded concrete fencings etc.
The second dial radial pattern reminds me of a honeycomb design- again a natural phenomenon pattern. This pattern is quite commonly used for manhole covers, as well as the City or Prefectural text showing where the manhole cover came from.

I love the vintage lug style of your wonderful models! Thanks for showing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts