The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this nice 7S26 from a customer.
He said it had suddenly started losing a lot of time.
One of the things I asked him was if he'd dropped it. He couldn't remember doing so. The case isn't marked which is often a give a way of rough treatment.
I said if he had a balance jewel may have come out of place.
The balance was wobbly so I took off the day disc to check. Jewel in place.
Found the issue - broken top pivot of the balance staff ;-(
Modern watches of any variety almost never have that happen.
I'll get one out of stock and do the swap over etc.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got this nice 7S26 from a customer.
He said it had suddenly started losing a lot of time.
One of the things I asked him was if he'd dropped it. He couldn't remember doing so. The case isn't marked which is often a give a way of rough treatment.
I said if he had a balance jewel may have come out of place.
The balance was wobbly so I took off the day disc to check. Jewel in place.
Found the issue - broken top pivot of the balance staff ;-(
Modern watches of any variety almost never have that happen.
I'll get one out of stock and do the swap over etc.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
And to think, up to the late 1950’s changing balance staffs was pretty much what watchmakers spent all their time doing so far as I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And to think, up to the late 1950’s changing balance staffs was pretty much what watchmakers spent all their time doing so far as I know!

You're right. Changing, turning & fitting balance staffs.

I phoned up a watchmaker friend the other Monday. He's one of the best watchmakers in NZ.
He'd turned up 5 pocket watch balance staffs over the weekend!!

I won't do any watch that hasn't got Incabloc, Diashock etc. Doing staffs when you're not used to it is a nightmare!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well I bought a Pultra lathe a while back (I’ve actually got two at the minute and need to sell one) with the intention of making balance staffs for a couple of old ones I’ve got where the pinion has snapped off. Only had a little play so far and made a new pusher rod for a Tag but all good fun and if I get furloughed off it’ll be keeping me busy. Need to learn to sharpen my cutters better though.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I bought a Pultra lathe a while back (I’ve actually got two at the minute and need to sell one) with the intention of making balance staffs for a couple of old ones I’ve got where the pinion has snapped off. Only had a little play so far and made a new pusher rod for a Tag but all good fun and if I get furloughed off it’ll be keeping me busy. Need to learn to sharpen my cutters better though.

Good on you for giving it a try.
Taking your time and increasing your skill level will get you there ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts