The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this cool Seiko 5 with a dial I have seen before but the case back markings are really strange. Also there are holes in the lower part of the dial that I can not figure out what in the world would have went there? Anyone seen something like this before?

Michael

·
Researcher
5,268 Posts
The dial is on the pith, and that "5" on the back? something fishy for sure.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crooked dial could just mean broken dial pins which is not uncommon but the proof will be when I crack it open. If there is a Seiko 7123 movement in their it could be interesting. I could not help but grab it for $20 bucks just to see what it was. The model number lay out looks right on the case but the serial number is in a strange format that I have not seen before.

Michael

·
Researcher
5,268 Posts
If it's on the pith and the date lines up - it ain't the feet, either the stem is broken, or the movement is wrong for the dial.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lume dots are closer to the markers at the bottom compared to the top. SEIKO is not aligned to the markers.

Are those three black dots not on the crystal - I think I can see 'shadow' under them?

Looks very wrong anyhow.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking maybe those marks were on the crystal and not the dial. I read the dial wrong from the picture and it is 7123-8570 which shows up as a Seiko model. As far as things not looking lined up on the dial pictures can create some very weird optical illusions. It does look like the whole movement is slightly off in the case which could make the Seiko appear crooked. I guess when it shows up at the end of the week I'll know for sure. At worse I might just have a good spare 7123 movement

Michael.

·
Special Member
5,243 Posts
Let's hope the movements looks this......(7123).......Bob.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi
7123 should be day and date, I agree that the black dots are on the crystal, I don't have a 7123-8670 listed in any of my casing guides.
very suspicious
Seikola

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've got to say that the whole thing looks fake. The dial looks like the common India fakes that you see on the bay, the caseback text all looks off.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if it is a "fako" It I will get my money back as I bought it on eBay. It was advertised as a Seiko 5 Automatic Japan Vintage. If it is not one email to eBay and I get my money back and I'm pretty certain the watch itself does NOT go back to the seller because it is a fake and it is suppose to be destroyed. I'll let you guys know.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
7123 should be day and date, I agree that the black dots are on the crystal, I don't have a 7123-8670 listed in any of my casing guides.
very suspicious
Seikola
I posted the dial number incorrectly first then corrected it a couple post later. It reads 7123.8570 which does show up on the watch material guide list. Still have you ever heard of a Seiko5 using the 7123 movement? I can't recall every seeing one. Either way it was 20 beans and I can still get my money back from eBay if it is a fake so I thought why not have a look at it. Yes I have lots of extra time on my hands!

Michael

·
Registered
628 Posts
I posted the dial number incorrectly first then corrected it a couple post later. It reads 7123.8570 which does show up on the watch material guide list. Still have you ever heard of a Seiko5 using the 7123 movement? I can't recall every seeing one. Either way it was 20 beans and I can still get my money back from eBay if it is a fake so I thought why not have a look at it. Yes I have lots of extra time on my hands!

Michael
Hi
There are quite a few 7123 seiko 5's, I can't find a decent picture of a 7123-8570 but I suspect yours is not one of them. Get a refund for sure
Seikola

·
Special Member
5,243 Posts
Hi, I have two with 7123 movement, both have been very reliable watches.......Bob.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I have two with 7123 movement, both have been very reliable watches.......Bob.

Nice watches. I see the watch on the left has the crown at the 3 o'clock position. Does the one on the left have it a the 3 also. I ask because the possible "fako" that I have coming has the crown at the 4 o'clock position. Now I am really intrigued to see what this "fako" watch I have coming really is.

Michael

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Indian 'Chop Shop' special for sure, my money is on a 'refinished' (or just plain 'finished' ) dial, a mechanical auto movement and the completely wrong back. :eek:

·
Special Member
5,243 Posts
Nice watches. I see the watch on the left has the crown at the 3 o'clock position. Does the one on the left have it a the 3 also. I ask because the possible "fako" that I have coming has the crown at the 4 o'clock position. Now I am really intrigued to see what this "fako" watch I have coming really is.

Michael
Hi Michael, Yes both at 3 o'clock.....Bob.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indian 'Chop Shop' special for sure, my money is on a 'refinished' (or just plain 'finished' ) dial, a mechanical auto movement and the completely wrong back. :eek:
If it is a "FrankenSeiko" but has a functioning 7123 movement inside it I'll probably keep it just for the movement. If not it will be refund time!

Michael

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Very fake, I don't think the case is even real? Caseback with "fantasy engraving". Probably the rotting worn out shell of an automatic movement, like a 7009, or a chinese fake :(
Sorry :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts