The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
^-^ Forty odd years ago we move house, we had to store some of our boxes at my sisters house for a week as we could not move in straight away, a few days ago I had a phone call from my sister to say a box had been found when they were having a clear out
(they had moved five times) and in the big box was a small box :eek: and in that box I found asleep these watches after a wind and a new battery (Timex) they are all running :)

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LUW said:
Whoa! Forty years?!?
The Precista is pretty cool!

^-^ LUW if you think the Precista is 8) have a look inside at the movement :-* Bob.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^-^ Just a update, my boss (wife) informs me, that it was 1974 :eek: (37 years) when we made that house move, not Forty :-[
and you know what she was correct :-\ sorry about that, time flies when your having so much fun asleep , thanks for all your comments, now what to do with them :( :( :( .Bob.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have to say I think they're all great looking, although as a WIS I would value each one for different reasons. I'd keep 'em!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The Timex has a rather oddball movement. It is a quartz regulated electronically controlled balance wheel caliber and it looks like this...

Mine looks like this on the front...

Yours looks better :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll tell you what to do with them, WEAR them, the Mundane :D and the Precista are fantastic pieces.

The Precista range of watches are now owned and produced by Eddie Platts of Time Factors (TZ-UK fame).

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^-^ Pete,
Thank you very much for the photo of the works, it's a very basic movement, the second hand moves just like a auto, but in its time I am sure it was high tec, how things have moved on, in saying that over the last few days its keeping time spot on ;D .
Once again thank you.
Bob.
Pin said:
The Timex has a rather oddball movement. It is a quartz regulated electronically controlled balance wheel caliber and it looks like this...

[img]

[/quote]

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^-^ Catflem, I am still not sure what to do with them, I think your right I will wear them for a while, and then make a decision, maybe because in the main I am a Seiko/Citizen man, TIME WILL TELL :D :D :D .Bob.

·
Registered
187 Posts
sewingman said:
^-^ Catflem, I am still not sure what to do with them, I think your right I will wear them for a while, and then make a decision, maybe because in the main I am a Seiko/Citizen man, TIME WILL TELL :D :D :D .Bob.
I know what you mean, you get fantastic bang for your buck with Seikos and Citizens. But, I've started to branch out from Seiko's as they made up about 80% my collection, and have started to appreciate the lower end (but not neccesarily lower quality) Swiss divers watches, with auto movements. My most recent find is a pretty rare Titoni Seascoper V.

I note that your Mondaine has a 25 jewel auto movement, chances are that it'll be an eta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA.

If you do decide to sell them on, I'm sure that they will prove to be extremely popular.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Pin said:

[/quote]

I dunno, Pete - that's pretty cool too. It has a real "MIH" look to it, doncha think?

[img]

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^-^ Catflem,
Thanks for the ETA Link for the movement info, my Mondaine has ETA 2783 stamped on the movement, and am surprised how well it's keeping time after sleeping for so many years (+7sec /24hrs) some wearing and hand winding ;D .
The Timex is very good in time keeping, but has a good strong tick ::) .
Precista, It's running well and all the chrono function are working well, but it's losing about 6 mins in 24hrs, this watch which I am not surprised requires a good service.
At the moment if any are to go it will be the Precista, this watch was taken as part payment for repair work done by myself, all those years ago. Bob.
Mondaine Movement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts