The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some input from some other fellow members who are as nutty as I am and own way more watches than any conventional type of watch storage method could possible handle.
My main purpose is NOT to display my watches. I am looking to see what some other members are doing with their large collections. Right now I am just using plastic shoe containers and laying the watches down on a sheet of bubble wrap then laying down another layer of bubble wrap and starting a new layer. It works ok to keep the watches from getting bumped and banged around but the one huge drawback is you can only get at the watches on the top quickly. It is an ok way to store them safely but since I have about 75 watches that are in a wearable state I like to rotate them and wear a different one every day depending on my mood. I'm not sure if there is any real way to do it unless I was to buy one of those large jewelry dresser type things I have seen in rich peoples houses. Any ideas?

Michael

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know there are many and varied ways of storing watches, but I find the most convenient are these alloy briefcases that hold 24 watches ( it will hold more in the lid, taking it up to 32, but I don't use those slots). I've got 4 full cases, and could fill another one if I emptied my drawers!
They are quite cheap on ebay, usually around the £20 mark.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there are many and varied ways of storing watches, but I find the most convenient are these alloy briefcases that hold 24 watches. I've got 4 full cases, and could fill another one if I emptied my drawers!
They are quite cheap on ebay, usually around the £20 mark.
That's not bad at all. I have never seen those. 24 watches stored for 20 quid is something I need to look into. Great also because like I said I am not looking to display them. With all the cases being identical they should stack very nicely and the front of the case could be marked as to which watches are in there if I sorted them by type i.e. Divers, Chronographs, Dress and such. Thanks for the great suggestion. I think this is they way I might go.

Michael

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just looked on ebay UK and they are £16.99 with free postage. You can get 12 watch cases for about £10.
Hopefully they are on American ebay.

·
Administrator
30,148 Posts
Strange Michael but I always tend to be envious of the watch storage options you guys have in the States and so cheap for really nice looking quality boxes but the postage sort of kills the deal for me in the UK :(

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange Michael but I always tend to be envious of the watch storage options you guys have in the States and so cheap for really nice looking quality boxes but the postage sort of kills the deal for me in the UK :(
I never really explored my options to much John before posting here. I was just looking for ideas. I had no idea that they made cases that held that many. I have seen plastic ones that hold 5 which would be useless for my needs. The case in the pictures looks like it will suit my needs to a T!

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked on ebay UK and they are £16.99 with free postage. You can get 12 watch cases for about £10.
Hopefully they are on American ebay.
Yes the seller does sell on eBay in the US. 18 quid and shipping to the US is 23 quid to get it here to the US!! I guess you boys in the UK win out this time.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I would have to pay just over 40 quid to buy just one and have it shipped over here. I look on eBay and Amazon and nobody else makes anything even close to these cases. They all have glass lids and are covered in fake leather. They are all basically for display and not strictly storage which is what I want and I doubt they are as sturdy either. Well no rush I will keep using my plastic tubs and bubble wrap for now. Someone will come up with something over here soon enough.

Michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
you can do this on your own, the Pelican case is readily available and it already comes with a special pre-cut foam that allows you to quickly create the slots for the watches, and re-use the punch outs for watch pillows. the Martinator goes further with better foam, but i didn't find it necessary.

this is my pelican 1470

and this is what the foam looks like:

and the full article here: http://wornandwound.com/2012/03/19/diy-pelican-watch-case/

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
you can do this on your own, the Pelican case is readily available and it already comes with a special pre-cut foam that allows you to quickly create the slots for the watches, and re-use the punch outs for watch pillows. the Martinator goes further with better foam, but i didn't find it necessary.

this is my pelican 1470

and this is what the foam looks like:

and the full article here: http://wornandwound.com/2012/03/19/diy-pelican-watch-case/
That's not bad I originally revered two numbers when I searched and I came up with a $312 dollar case!!! Then I saw I swap the two numbers and found the right case not bad at all. I might have to go that direction. I like it

I just noticed they charge more for shipping than the cases that come from the UK! Add that to the total cost and you at $63 dollars.

Michael
Michael

·
Registered
76 Posts
Costco has wooden tool chest just like that one, I never thought of that for watches, wouldn't really work for me as 50% of my collection is Eco-Drive, glass top boxes work better for charging

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
The two in the lower left look like quartz remakes of the famous 6139-600x chronos. Does the inner bezel rotate? ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts