The Watch Site banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to necro my old original post again, but here's the link if you're interested in the story of this watch: Rediscovery of an old friend (and subsequently, this forum)

I just wanted to hop on quickly and provide an update. This wonderful Seiko 6309-7049 dive watch is still going strong. It's almost 40 years old now. I still haven't had to have it professionally serviced. In fact, rather than losing time as I might expect, it actually gains time and I have to reset it every week or so. Is this common? It hasn't lost any of its water resistance for normal submersion. I haven't been diving in many years, so it hasn't been to any significant depth since the '80s. If I do start diving again, I will have it professionally serviced to ensure all the seals are good.

The only issue I've had is with the bezel. It started locking up on me. I remedied that with a couple tiny drops of Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil. That was a few years ago and the bezel has been moving smoothly since. It stays were I put it, so the oil didn't cause any issues by making it too easy to move.

Here's a couple current pics of my old friend...

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I just have to figure out the best way to go for servicing. Find a reputable jeweler locally that can do it, or send it to Seiko US in NJ? I looked at the Seiko site and it looks like the starting cost (assuming no issues) is about $270.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts