The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to necro my old original post again, but here's the link if you're interested in the story of this watch: Rediscovery of an old friend (and subsequently, this forum)

I just wanted to hop on quickly and provide an update. This wonderful Seiko 6309-7049 dive watch is still going strong. It's almost 40 years old now. I still haven't had to have it professionally serviced. In fact, rather than losing time as I might expect, it actually gains time and I have to reset it every week or so. Is this common? It hasn't lost any of its water resistance for normal submersion. I haven't been diving in many years, so it hasn't been to any significant depth since the '80s. If I do start diving again, I will have it professionally serviced to ensure all the seals are good.

The only issue I've had is with the bezel. It started locking up on me. I remedied that with a couple tiny drops of Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil. That was a few years ago and the bezel has been moving smoothly since. It stays were I put it, so the oil didn't cause any issues by making it too easy to move.

Here's a couple current pics of my old friend...

·
Special Member
2,381 Posts
Beautiful 6309-7049 and a great history with you.

If it were mine, I'd make sure to get new gaskets (search for VTA 6309 on your favorite auction site) for the case back, crown, bezel - you wouldn't want to get this one near water until then (if not anymore). If the gaskets haven't been replaced in more than 5 years, then it's been too long in my opinion and don't chance it being in water with a dial/handset this nice.

Regardless of whether it's running slow or fast, if you've never had the watch serviced in almost 40 years, it's due for one, all the oils inside are most likely dry by now.

·
Special Member
1,474 Posts
Really nice! My Nov 1979 6309-7049 has been with me since 1981 and has never been opened, I retired it from diving by the mid 80s when I bought a just released Swiss diver that I no longer have. I retired it from being worn in 2016 and while I do look at and handle it often I am going to let whichever Son ends up with it decide on the service, or to simply leave it as an undisturbed object :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not a surprise. The old 6309 movement runs forever. Mine is from 1985, I bought it in Feb 1986 at the BX and it was my only watch for years. I did have the movement serviced in 2010 and new gaskets installed. Not because it was running poorly, but I figured it had earned one. It should be good until I die now (I'm 64).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
2,320 Posts
Really cool watch and great story. The fact the watch is running fast is an indicator it needs service. At this point, the seals are likely hard as rocks and water resistance compromised. Oils have long since dried or evaporated. Running it with inadequate lubrication will just grind the pivots to nothing eventually making it necessary to replace components in the train. The watch is well past due for service and seals. I would recommend getting it done at your earliest convenience to preserve this piece for years to come.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I just have to figure out the best way to go for servicing. Find a reputable jeweler locally that can do it, or send it to Seiko US in NJ? I looked at the Seiko site and it looks like the starting cost (assuming no issues) is about $270.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Now I just have to figure out the best way to go for servicing. Find a reputable jeweler locally that can do it, or send it to Seiko US in NJ? I looked at the Seiko site and it looks like the starting cost (assuming no issues) is about $270.
DO NOT SEND IT TO SEIKO! They don't provide any service for vintage that is worth the money and if there are any parts of the movement needing tlc they don't have the parts. Most retail jewelers claiming to service watches aren't much better than than a battery change kiosk (neither of whom would I trust to actually do battery changes in my 7548's or Citizen divers). Most retail watch makers are focused on Swiss and while they should be perfectly capable of servicing a 6309, will not IME do as proper a job as someone specializing on Seiko. I would recommend trying Daniel Blair at the BlairWatchProject and consider jeweling the arbor ports as part of the service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts