The Watch Site banner

Stiff crown adjusting hands

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  IMeasure 
#1 ·
Hello,
I wonder if someone can shed a little light onto an issue I have with a couple of seiko. When I adjust the hands, as the crown is turned and it rotates the hands through 24 hrs and the day/date click over, the crown becomes stiffer and stiffer to turn with each rotation until its barely possible to twist!
Both run well and keep good time!
What would be the main cause of this?
Thanks for any advice.
Matt.

#2 ·
Dry gasket (easily correctable) or dry cannon pinion lubrication (less easily correctable, good indicator that movement needs service). Continuing to turn past the point of increased resistance will likely cause undue wear to the teeth in the setting train.

#6 ·
There types of problems can be fun to figure out. You should tell us what movement this is. It could be any number if issues but my money is something on the dial side. So keyless works to the day, date change mechanism.

I like to solve these using a process of elimination. Remove the hands and dial. I would then remove the day changeing gears. Reassemble the dial (don't worry about the hands) and try changing the time. Is the problem still there? Yes, well keep removing parts, back to the keyless works until you get to the item that's causing the problem. It can take some experimentation to figure out which part or parts require attention. Once you have found the item/items you have to figure out how to fix it. Are the teeth missing, broken, poor lubrication, rusty, is the part plastic and has shrunk onto its post.

You will sort it out, just don't get frustrated, think of it as a challenge that can be solved.

#7 ·
Sound advise, I will give the movement a full service, and focus on these areas to try and figure out what tightens. Thinking about it the canon pinion seems logical. I am quite new to horology, and your point about curbing frustrations a good one. I might put the statement on the wall above my watch bench :)
The movement in question is a 19 jewel 7006 automatic with day/date.
Thanks. Matt.

#8 ·
Was the crown gasket soft + pliable? If not, just lubing it might not suffice. I would check the movement out of the case and see if you still have the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.