The Watch Site banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
exactly what i was thinking Tritto...how many seiko cases are laying around with damage like this and no one was going to do anything with them?..

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the encouragement on this one. Really an underrepresented repair. Usually we just replace the case but when there's no cases left, what can we do?

Couldn't have done any of this without the welder, who really only attempted the job because he had no reason to believe it couldn't be done; a classic David and Goliath moment. And also grateful to Steve, who made it quite clear that inside drilling can be tricky, but nonetheless, scored the winning run.

Oftentimes, with us watch guys, we get preoccupied with worrying about whether or not something should even be attempted, when others just step up to the plate and hit the ball.

Mike

·
Special Member
3,063 Posts
Some really good and ingenious work here- cant wait to see the end result
Well done mike for sticking with it

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm a little late, but wow Mike, that looks fantastic. Great job all around and kudos for having the initiative to try to save this lost cause. Do you have the 6105 put back together yet?

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Lane,

I've had to hold off on completing the Steam Punk but I'll work on it some during these rainy days that are coming up.

Not too much left but I took some time off for the holidays and spent some time with the family.

Also had to complete the Dark Sumo before New Year's so I guess the Steam Punk will be next.

Thanks again for all the interest in this one. It's been a challenging project with a few hurdles but so far, it's coming around nicely.

I'll post a proper build thread as I get closer to the finish line.

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
These holes were drilled by Steve855 here on the forum.

I asked him to drill these from the inside and not all the way through so the case would remain authentic.. repaired but still as it was when Seiko made it.

Unless you've got a tiny right angle drill, I would imagine that the holes would be drilled on a slight angle...Steve would be the man to ask about it, but still not something to be attempted lightly.. you'd need a proper case holding jig, proper drill bit, a decent drill and a good pair of safety glasses.

Mike

·
Special Member
1,644 Posts
is steve willing to drill lugs in general? or tell us how to do this?
is it some kind of dental drill or moto-tool?

i'd love to be able to drill holes right through any number of lugs,
such a time saver when it comes to changing straps. on any watch
that's a sure keeper, this would be such a great modification, and
since we'd be continuing the original hole until it exits the outer
lug, maybe it would be a little easier? i wonder.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Hey we never saw this finished my friend...did it ever get done?
God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here's the Steam Punk....six years later.

The case work on this one was just the beginning of a story that would finally come to an end... after many long chapters... searching every corner of the world for just that one part ... finding many other parts along the way including cases, casebacks {typically impossible to find by themselves}, bezels, nos handsets and crowns, spare dials, both partial and complete movements, chapter rings...also very difficult to find and the occasional nos crystal.

All told, I sourced enough spare parts to build six complete 6105's over the same number of years...one for each year of the journey.

All this began with an idea of building a 6105 from spare parts...not the best parts mind you, but just whatever I could find...so long as it was a genuine Seiko part.

First was the case... sourced from Larry and if you take the time to go back to the beginning of this thread, you can read about that part of the journey...but actually, even before the case, there was a movement, dial and hands.

These parts were bought on a whim back in 2014 from a forum member named Guy...who has become a friend over the years.

Guy mentioned one day in an email that he had these parts and the movement had been serviced. I made the innocent mistake of asking what he wanted for the parts and he told me some price or something and it seemed high at the time...but I told him ok and the deal was made.

This was actually the beginning of my journey to what would eventually become The Steam Punk... There was no way I could have known at the time that this would become a lifelong journey that spanned over the next six years... starting in my late forties and ending in my mid fifties.

I can't count the times I stayed up all night, searching the internet for parts... following up on leads of someone who had the odd part, frustrating Ebay auctions where I lost out on an item by just a few dollars...or just a few seconds.

Eventually I went to bidding ridiculously high amounts that would guarantee a win while simultaneously draining my bank account... I was like an addict... looking for my next fix...even when I didn't absolutely have to have that part...it was a high that I had come to crave... often buying complete cases just for a single part, but then forced into the unavoidable situation of having more spares than I knew what to do with...which, in turn, forced me into building that next case into a complete watch...it was really a long and very deep... very expensive rabbit hole and the only way out was to continue tunneling until I reached the other side.

Often times I would get a lead on a seller who had some parts of which I just needed one... only to find out that the seller would only sell the whole lot...all or nothing so to speak...of course I bought the whole lot.

I kept this up for several years... buying parts and hoping that at some point I would have the exact amount of parts needed...no more spares and none lacking...then my life would be complete.

As I got things organized, I would package them up and send to Guy in the UK for cleaning, movement service, re-luming and assembly.

He would finish these and ship them back... I still have one from the first batch of three and two of those I gave away as surprise gifts to fellow watch enthusiasts.

After that first batch, I thought I was done...no more collecting, no more parts hunting... I could finally enjoy my life...but, life as we all know, has a way of throwing you a curve ball and while looking through some parts boxes, I saw what looked to be a 6105 case...in a clear plastic bag marked Steam Punk.

In all my haste to buy parts and get watches built, I had forgotten the very watch that got me started in the first place... I had so many bare cases lying about that I didn't realize that I'd not completed this one.

So, once again, I continued the parts hunt...with the same vigor and enthusiasm I'd had in the
beginning....happily paying $400 for a genuine bezel with a beautiful Ghost insert... I sourced another complete case for only $500 and two complete movements for $450 apiece... things were really coming together and I was all in.

Once again, a box of parts was sent over to Guy in the UK...then we had the virus... shipping slowed to a crawl...but my watches were in the queue and after some time, when people's lives started to normalize and everybody had enough drinking water and toilet paper stockpiled, my two 6105's were completed and would soon be ready to ship.

There were many people involved in the restoration of these two and I won't be able to credit all those who helped out with the odd part here and there, but a couple names at the top of the list are
Jon {Grammar}, who contributed an amazing dial for the Steam Punk... quite literally contributed...
Special Thanks to you for that Jon! Meant more than I can tell you. And also, Special Thanks to John B {thetigeruk} for supplying the two chapter rings and other bits.

Lastly, I'd like to thank the builder, Guy J, who took the time to clean, service and assemble these baskets of parts... making them into useful things again.

For the Steam Punk, a custom color of lume was chosen and I think it looks amazing... perfect for the Steam Punk.

From the very beginning, this watch was intended to look like it had lived a long life..and it has.

Thanks again to the forum for enduring this long journey with me.

Best, as always,

Mike

Attachments

·
Special Member
15,221 Posts
thanks Mike - what a labor of love. You have great patience and perseverance. Wear in good health - looks great ...

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
excellent work again my friend
i am so glad to see it all done
nothing better than a completed project
stay safe and warm out there
God Bless,John

·
Craftsman
7,664 Posts
Very cool watch. You're a great guy, Mike. Grateful to play a part of it. Fond memories of the years past as your projects came to fruition and one of the main reasons I stuck with the work I do in general, so a huge thank you (I hope you know this...) to being a supportive member here, through ups and downs, and it's great to see it on your wrist being enjoyed!

To the next one.....;)

·
Special Member
3,171 Posts
Love a watch with a story...and this one certainly was a journey and a labour of love. Great result. A special watch for sure!
Wear it well.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
33,740 Posts
That came out really well Mike and as the saying goes "good things come to those who wait" :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts