The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steam Punk 6105 {now drilled lug holes}

A couple weeks ago, I started working on a 6105 restoration.
This one was sort of started from the inside out.

I bought a very nice movement, dial, handset and crown from Guy here on the forum.

I didn't have a case for it though. Normally, that wouldn't be any trouble, but with 6105 cases in short supply, this restoration was going to take some time to work out all the details.

I posted a WTB ad on the forum and in an odd twist of fate, a case was available. But this one would present it's own set of problems as the lugs were worn out and oversized to the point where no spring bar could be trusted to keep the watch secure.

The seller had told me in advance about the lugs and I somewhat foolishly thought that the lugs could be repaired.

After checking with three different sources, they all said the same thing...it can't be fixed.

Even worse, there really wasn't enough material there to drill through and mount a fixed bar as much of the metal was worn away near the edge of the lug.

I went to a couple local welding shops and after a brief discussion on the finer points of welding stainless steel, the welder and I agreed that he would go ahead with the job.

The watch is not complete just yet, but here's how the lugs came out after welding. Still needs a bit of fine tuning, but I feel pretty good about being able to save this case and in so doing, bring life back into a 6105...Steam Punk style!

Comments welcome...

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
wow...that looks great....very well done...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks good. It just takes the right equipment and lots of practice! I've done some welding on stainless cases myself, it opens up a lot of possibilities.
Take your time accurately locating the new holes, as I'm sure you know.

I find it interesting that repairs that would have probably been cost or time prohibitive a few years ago are now worthwhile on certain models like this. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,
Pretty good outcome overall. Really opens up alot of possibilities for case restoration.

Mike

·
Registered
617 Posts
That looks great, Michael! If I wasn't expecting it to be a welding job, I would've thought it was just a normal, if worn, springbar hole.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
very well said Seikosyko...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wow, nice work Mike. Can't wait to see your 6105 come together. Might need you to publish a directory one day of all your contacts for welding, TiN coating, parts sourcing, etc. because you've done some impressive work on your projects.

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Lane.
For the welding, I've got someone local to me. I can get other cases done if there's some forum members who need their lug holes welded.

TiN coating is something I started working from the beginning. First with black coatings, then in various case finishes prior to coating to see what the texture and color came out like. I thought I'd get a little more interest from the forum with that, but I guess until you have one of these on your wrist, it's hard to tell how nice the quality is.

For myself, I like how the metal looks when it's coated; just adds some distinction in the blue titanium coatings and the black coated cases aren't reflective in the sun.

The drilling on the 6105 will be done sometime this year...not much time left before the holidays so the build probably will not be completed before Christmas... trying to finish other projects too.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see it when it gets done.

Thanks Lane and Guy for your interest in this one. Lug welding is an underrepresented repair and since there hadn't been many posts on the subject, I thought it would be good to at least show that it could be done so others could take note of it for future situations like this.

Lugs could even have material added if they are broken or chewed up.

Mike

·
Special Member
4,600 Posts
Very well done, Mike!
I'm pretty certain John B could help you out with drilled through lug holes, as option and if you're not adamant about originality

·
Registered
141 Posts
I praise the people that are willing to do work instead of chuck ole parts abd start over. Putting in the effort and learning new skills fail or succeed is admirable in many aspects the least of which is the watch hobby. Well done. Would love to see how you drill the lugs. Been trying to figure that one out for a while.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Steam Punk...New lug holes drilled!!!

Well, here's how the Steam Punk is shaping up...

If you've been following along, you'll remember that I thought {somewhat foolishly}, that a 6105 case with worn out lug holes could be welded, re-drilled from the inside only and simply returned to service as a watch case.

After initially striking out, I was finally able to find a welder who could do the work. All was completed as promised and I now had a case with welded lug holes. That's great unless you actually want to wear the watch.

Now I would need new holes drilled but, with a caveat; I didn't want to have the holes drilled all the way through the lugs, they would need to be drilled from the inside.

The build would need to be sidelined until I could find someone who wanted to take on the work on short notice and approaching the holidays.

I remembered there was one forum member, Steve855, who had done some lug re-drilling, but couldn't remember if he was able to drill from the inside.

In a complete stroke of luck, he posted a comment on the Steam Punk thread and mentioned that I should be careful and take my time with the drilling.

After sending him a message and telling him a little more about the build, he agreed to take on the job.

I got in touch with Larry {UncleSeiko}, and he sent off a new set of the proper springbars for the 6105 which really are made quite nicely. The tips are perfectly cylindrical with more distinct edges instead of the round tipped versions we see so often.

Once the springbars arrived, Steve was able to go to work on the drilling. I also sent Steve a couple different straps to try on to see how everything fit. We finally settled on the mm300 strap, which I feel is a very tasteful addition to the 6105.

Overall, Steve did a very nice job on the re-drilling and he also lightly cleaned up the inner lug surfaces where my enthusiastic welder had left heat flash and grinding marks. I also had Steve drill the holes slightly more inwards on the lugs and slightly up from the bottom corner. I believe that this will prevent the lugs from wearing out again in the future. And also makes the watch wear more comfortably due to the slightly higher strap location and since the 6105 straps sit so low, the lugs sharp inner edges tend to just look too high and oddly out of place. The location of the holes, combined with the mm300 strap fills the height of the lug area perfectly and the strap sits flush with the lug tops.

Part of doing a build sometimes involves bringing others on board to do some of the specialty work and I have to say that I'm very pleased with the outcome here and very glad that Steve had the time to fit me into his schedule.

Thanks again Steve for your expertise here. Really nice to have this case ready to use again.

New pics added... comments welcome!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
very well done my friend and excellent work for Steve855 ....that looks incredible and to Larry for once again getting the right parts for you to finish this.....God Bless,John

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Great to see a case that once would have been thrown on the scrap heap returned to active service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts