The Watch Site banner

Stealth Seiko product placement?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Neil.C 
#1 ·
OK, I was at the doctor's today for a checkup. While in the waiting room, I picked up the latest Time, mostly because it had an article about only children (our daughter is an Only, so far). I looked at the shot, and I realized that the "mommy" arm and hand in the picture was sporting what looks like a Seiko fold-over clasp Jubilee bracelet.

This is the best image I can find so far, unless someone has the mag and can scan it

See less See more
#3 ·
I happened to be wearing my 007 with solid-link Jubilee and fold-over clasp when I saw it, and it looked right to me. I wonder who chose that? How often do women wear jubilee bracelets?

#5 ·
Neil.C said:
It's funny how Rolex names have come into parlance with Seiko.

Both jubilee and oyster are names for Rolex made products.
This is not new by any means. When I was in the retail jewelery business during the early '70s these terms we already being bandied about outside of Rolex circles.

Adding to this, Jacoby-Bender, who made bracelets for all of Rolex's USA imports until the late '70s, was selling these same bracelets under their own name, J-B Champion, and without Rolex logos. These were, for the time, rather pricey accessories running from $35.00 and up, in s/s, gold filled and solid gold.

An interesting twist of fate was the demise of Jacoby-Bender soon after the US import laws changed, enabling Rolex to bring in complete timepieces with less duties. Rolex dropped J-B like a hot potato now that they could use the superior "European" bracelets made for them by Winox, a huge accessory manufacture that still supplies most of the better-made bracelets to most watch houses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.