The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mailed several eBay sales packages from my home in the USA in the last week. I am located just outside NYC. I am seeing it's taking 4 or more days just to go the 15-25 miles to a Regional USPS terminal where they get loaded onto the cross-country trucks.

Regular first class stuff from here to Florida and California normally takes 3 or 4 days total. And we all know air cargo space is impossible to find so they'll be rolling the 3,000 mile trip instead of flying.

My latest purchase made on March 10 out of Singapore has been stuck in God Knows Where for a month now. Neither Singpost nor USPS tracking shows it's whereabouts anymore. For 2 weeks it used to show as being in Singapore outbound customs possession but now that's disappeared from the websites. I do have screenshots which was a wise move.

Parts from India show label generated but that's it, which is normal for a few days after shipping, but now it's 3 weeks still the same. Seller tells me the stuff was handed over in person to the post office 3 weeks ago.

How's everybody else doing with post office deliveries ?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I’m seeing stuff from California for example get here within normal expected timeframe, and some stuff from UK and EU also getting here pretty quickly. But higher value stuff coming in from outside the US is hitting customs in Chicago and just sitting.

I’m not expecting anything from around NYC so can’t speak to how that is being affected.

Specific online retailers, like Chewy (pet food, etc) for instance are waaaaay behind schedule even fulfilling orders. That doesn’t even factor in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hey Jon, so I’m at the bottom of the same state and I haven’t seen much of a USPS slowdown. But our situation it a lot less tense than yours. My Priority mail boxes have been going back and forth to Virginia, PA, NH, and Orlando FL. I mailed a priority package to the UK on 3/11 and it got to London on 3/19.

I’m expecting a watch from the UK via DHL that is being picked up there tomorrow. I’ll let you know how that goes. I’m also watching a package from Rome to the UK right now. Not the USPS, but will be an interesting test.

Usually my USPS overseas packages go through the Jamaica, NY distro hub. Not sure if this has changed. DHL doesn’t do this so I’m less concerned with delays from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
In preparation for this mess one of the things I did was to purchase parts to build a couple of watches. I bought Louis Atelier dials and the post from Singapore took a LONG time. I believe it was almost a month.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I've had part shipments coming in form California, Guam, and various other places around the US with no signs of delays. A shipment made it in from Guam a day early this week and only took 4 days total.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Seems like it’s hit or miss. I had two packages leave the UK on the same day. One came through NYC customs in a couple days and got here recently. The other has been there for a week.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In preparation for this mess one of the things I did was to purchase parts to build a couple of watches. I bought Louis Atelier dials and the post from Singapore took a LONG time. I believe it was almost a month.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I really like the Lucius Atelier dials. I have 2 of them. Great modding hand sets too.

Big endorsement of them !

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sent a watch to my son in Japan from Brisbane 3 weeks ago . Held up in japan, they are not releasing any incoming international mail.. Also took 5 weeks for an envelope containing 6 casebacks seal from the Philippines . Normally one week tops.

·
Premium Member
9,257 Posts
Been using USPS pretty regular and not seeing any slow down in and out of the PACNW. Maybe an extra day sitting at a transit station but still pretty quick service.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ordered a bezel insert for my Technos Project on the 12th of March from the Philippines and the tracking shows the label being generated but that's it. I'm hoping it was at least loaded to the freighter!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Can I join the queue.

Watch parts sent from NY State to UK on 29th March still not arrived, shows as 'in transit' on USPS website. I was really hoping its just slow and not lost. Seeing others saying the shipping is slow gives me a little confidence. Do you think all these parcels could be on ships rather than air freight?

Other John

·
Registered
824 Posts
It's not just USPS - Royal Fail aren't doing any better. When I buy watches off eBay in the States, I usually ask sellers (or my ever-faithful US forwarding agent) to ship to UK by USPS First Class International (Small Packet). It's a cheap tracked service, costing around $15, that under normal circumstances takes a week on average (assuming they don't get snagged by HM Customs).
My absolute record using this service is 5 days door to door (over a weekend too) !

That week has now stretched to 3 weeks. :( Not only are USPS much slower moving stuff between their Stateside hubs, but Royal Fail's International hub (Langley, Slow - sorry, Slough) appears to have a few days backlog. I had two packages coming in from USA (forwarded by my US buddy on 24th March), which left HWDC (Slough) on the evening of Monday 6th April. So one would have assumed they reached Swindon Mail Centre overnight. They didn't attempt delivery until Saturday morning (11th April) - and of course I just happened to be out when they did. :rolleyes: So what with the Royal Mail collection point's reduced opening hours and the Easter bank holiday, I couldn't pick them up until yesterday morning (14th April). :mad:

I expect it'll get worse before it gets better. :poop:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm located in the Atlanta, GA area and am expecting a package from Canada. It was mailed April 4th, made it of Canada fairly quickly, bounced around a couple of Chicago, IL USPS facilities for a few days, then all I got on the USPS tracking webite was "In Transit, Arriving Late." Yesterday it was at the Atlanta Distribution Center, now it's "In Transit to Next Facility." Jeez!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm located in the Atlanta, GA area and am expecting a package from Canada. It was mailed April 4th, made it of Canada fairly quickly, bounced around a couple of Chicago, IL USPS facilities for a few days, then all I got on the USPS tracking webite was "In Transit, Arriving Late." Yesterday it was at the Atlanta Distribution Center, now it's "In Transit to Next Facility." Jeez!
Same sort of stuff I am seeing. I mailed a package from NJ to Utah and it's now 8 days in and my auto text read "an unexpected delay" between Chicago and UT.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Seems to be the norm lately
Had 2 priority mail boxes just disappear
No one at USPS knows where they went?
Last scan 16 March. Sorry but USPS customer service sucks, called them and they stated my packages probably have been chewed up by the sorter.
Not a happy camper with them. Had insurance they failed to pay full amount.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems to be the norm lately
Had 2 priority mail boxes just disappear
No one at USPS knows where they went?
Last scan 16 March. Sorry but USPS customer service sucks, called them and they stated my packages probably have been chewed up by the sorter.
Not a happy camper with them. Had insurance they failed to pay full amount.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
If you go the post office and sweet talk the postal worker, they can go into the back and use their terminal and get a boat load more information than we can off the USPS tracking website.

If it was going to go by air across the country it could easily be in a container that is sitting completely ignored for the next while. Their secret computer program will tell you which container it is in by number.

All is not neccisarily lost !

1 - 20 of 128 Posts