The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly comprehensive collection of vintage Seiko divers. Collecting divers is relatively easy, but chrono’s are a different matter altogether. There are so many variants, particularly of the 6138 and 6139 series. I have lost track of the various models and their major and subtle differences. It is true to say that the Pogue’s are my favourite 6139 and the Bullhead is my favourite 6138. Of all my Seiko chrono’s the Bullhead is the one I wear most. I have a big wrist and it fits me just fine. I think I may have gone a bit over the top collecting Pogues, but that’s what I like. I Decided to pretty much limit my chrono collection to 6138’s and 6139’s with just a couple of earlier one 5717’ and a few later quartz, mainly RAF and RN issued. I also decided not to include the Daini produced 7xxx chrono’s. I don’t particularly like them and anyway I couldn’t stand starting again with them. So, not for me.
Sorry about the rubbish photo’s again. ‘Just from an iPhone 7 in daylight through the window.

5717 One Button Chrono’s
I like the one button chrono’s. I have three, all with different casebacks. I love Seiko 1960’s casebacks. I just noticed the Omega in that case…

6138-xxxx
I have all three versions of the Brown Bullhead (JDM… 5 Sports Speedtimer, Speedtimer, RoW… Chronograph). There never was a JDM Black Bullhead. A couple of Kakumes, 4 of the many variants of UFO including 2 Proofs, a lovely -8010, and of course a Panda.

6139-xxxx
Well what can I say. I do like 6139 Pogues…..
Here’s a selection of my Yellow Pogues:

And some Blue’s:

And some Silvers sharing a box with 6139-601x.
The empty space in the top row belongs to a 1969 6139-6000 Silver Proof that is with Duncan for service at the moment.

Here are some other 6139’s that I particularly like…. Including a couple of JDM Coke’s, a December 1972 Sunrise, an NOS Coke case and bracelet I found on Yahoo.jp recently.

Chrono’s are great to collect, they don’t usually get Diver money, but they are catching up fast. The main thing to be sure of is to beware of fake dials. The watch is all about its dial, if the dial is a fake then the rest of the watch is almost certainly covered in aftermarket parts making it almost worthless. Research is evcerything!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Another great post Jim. Thanks for showing them off. There is a lot of search and research time in that collection! I see some gaps.......

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This is the most amazing collection I have seen. As a certified chronograph nut, it’s almost overwhelming. You have all three silver dials. Amazing. This collection should be documented in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another great post Jim. Thanks for showing them off. There is a lot of search and research time in that collection! I see some gaps.......
Hi Ross, I do have more chronos' than I posted, but mainly more of the same. So yes, plenty of gaps unfortunately. I missed out on a Yellow Feb 69 a while back which I haven't stopped kicking myself about. I really need those early T AD examples.... 'not going to be easy.

There are so many 6138 and 6139 that I don't really like. I do find myself concentrating nowadays on those with a Proof or Resist dial.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the most amazing collection I have seen. As a certified chronograph nut, it’s almost overwhelming. You have all three silver dials. Amazing. This collection should be documented in some way.
Yes, I actually have two of each Silver dial - 2 Proof, 2 Resist, and 2 plain dial. All of my Silver's are 'T' dials. I don't think an R dial Proof (of any colour) exists, but R dial Silver Resist and plain dials are out there. I guess I need those too.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hi Ross, I do have more chronos' than I posted, but mainly more of the same. So yes, plenty of gaps unfortunately. I missed out on a Yellow Feb 69 a while back which I haven't stopped kicking myself about. I really need those early T AD examples.... 'not going to be easy.

There are so many 6138 and 6139 that I don't really like. I do find myself concentrating nowadays on those with a Proof or Resist dial.
An early yellow Speedtimer, yes. I saw an average one a couple of years ago I should have picked up! Don’t you have a couple of 5719s as well?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Awesome collection! I'd like to pick up a chronograph. I don't have one yet. I like the looks of the one-button models at the beginning of your post....

Since you have so many different models, I'll ask you the age old question: if you could have only one, which one would you keep?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Yes, I actually have two of each Silver dial - 2 Proof, 2 Resist, and 2 plain dial. All of my Silver's are 'T' dials. I don't think an R dial Proof (of any colour) exists, but R dial Silver Resist and plain dials are out there. I guess I need those too.
This is one that I got a short time ago. This is a picture from Simon who just finished it. I hopefully will get it next week from the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Outstanding collection Jim!

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nope, I never got a no date 5719.. another on my wish list.
My Chrono collection is not as strong as my Diver collection.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome collection! I'd like to pick up a chronograph. I don't have one yet. I like the looks of the one-button models at the beginning of your post....

Since you have so many different models, I'll ask you the age old question: if you could have only one, which one would you keep?

I couldn’t just keep one. 10 maybe ⏱

1 - 20 of 38 Posts