The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new family today, of high quality but under-appreciated divers. >>>

These Citizen automatic divers were contemporary with the Seiko SKX007/SKX009 series of diver watches, but never achieved the same popularity despite being (in my opinion at least) better watches.

The features which are better include:
1) The dial markers are all silver-outlined, with distinctive shapes.
2) The crown is on the left side at 8 o'clock. so it never 'bites'.
3) The movement is automatic, hand-windable and "back-hacks" easily.
4) The optional solid-link bracelet (59-H1095) has a cast, solid clasp.
5) The hands have very distinctive shapes, which makes dark-reading easy.
6) The dial textures and colors (especially the inky black) are better.

And the rest of the characteristics, like the bezel, case and so forth as just as good as the Seiko's.

There are four colors in the NY0040 family and then there are the closely related NY0045 and NY0046 watches that have the same overall design but with golden highlights, which turn me off.

Today's watch is the 'classic' variant, the inky, black-dialed NY0040-09EB:

Click for Big Image

Even in person, close up, the black dial is "bottomless". The markers just seem to float on a infinite black space. -L-

Okay, three more colors to go! ^L^ Stay cool!

- Thomas

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Re: Starting a new family today, of high quality but under-appreciated divers. >>>

Yes they are very nice, Thomas. :035: :great:

Mine says ^-^

Mark

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Re: Starting a new family today, of high quality but under-appreciated divers. >>>

while I agree they are under appreciated, the SKX007/9 have a more classical design ( following the design cues of older Seikos) and are much easier to mod.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts

^-^ :iagree: It's a great watch, love mine............Bob.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

I agree, they are great but underated watches. Here are some of mine,

(Vendor pics). this one's a lot nicer in your wrist. I love it

This one's incoming. Vendor pic too. Beautifull and very cool watches, yes sir,

·
Registered
141 Posts

and just to add, the rubber on the citizen seems better than the Z22/20s of seiko... also like the presence of tubes at the end of the strap...
handwind is definitely a PLUS too! though it's not needed, it's nice to know you have an option ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts