The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Seiko 6138 Panda and noticed something odd on the caseback. Along the lower edge it should be stamped "STAINLESS STEEL" followed by the model number. On mine, however, it is stamped "ST. STEEL". If you look really closely (its more clear under a loupe) part of the 'S' in the full "STAINLESS" stamp is still visible and in the correct spot (to the left and slight above the "W" in the "WATER RESISTANT" stamp). Its almost like someone wanted to erase the 'stainless' part. Any ideas as to what is going on?

I've attached a picture.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its pretty shiny; it almost looks like they reground the flat part, but then the entire stamp should have disappeared. The marks look legit to me; part of me wonders if it was a factory error that they tried to correct.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
It could just be a slight mis-stamp , where the back didn't sit well in the die, first time round and just caught the "st" end of the stamp, and was then auto restamped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a good thought - it would explain the 'S' in 'ST.' as they sit in the exact position - the only problem is in the "STAINLESS" stamp the second letter would have been a second 'S' and not a 'T'. Also, there is no period in the full stamp so to me it was deliberate. It could be a fake but I don't see the value of faking the caseback stamp. It seems like more trouble than what it would be worth. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
No, I'm saying that the ST.STEEL was incompletely stamped on the left, giving the S and the the case back was then rotated clockwise in the die and re-stamped. TBH your pic is next to illegible, so I can't see any great detail.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's an odd one. The stamp for 6138-8020 is in the wrong place really, it's just a few degrees too far around.
Checked a load of case backs here and they are all absolutely exact in that "stainless steel ****-****" is like a smiley mouth that is perfectly aligned to start and stop on the same line as the bottom of the text "water resistant". This is even on clearly different variations in stamping spacing , depth etc. Actually even on other calibres too...

Personally I just don't think seiko would have had any exceptions?! Surely if badly stamped they'd have tossed it in the bin and grabbed the next case back in the batch, rather than reststamping - unless you think maybe there is a whole batch like this!?

So I'd say it's been faked to be a panda. But who'd bother really, so I won't say that :) it's just odd!

·
Registered
616 Posts
At first glance i would say the picture is photoshopped.

The Stainless Steel text should start just below the water resistant text and it's visible slightly above it so something is off there too.

here is another suspect caseback where water resistant is partially obscured (Australia seller) :

And here is one the way it should look:

It must be worth it to someone to re-stamp those casebacks...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for additional info. Its definitely not photoshopped as I bought the watch and took the posted picture. I still don't get this one - the dial is real, the movement is correct, and the case looks right. Who would bother to fake the caseback? The watch was serviced by SeikoUK this past December, is there any chance they would alter the stamp?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other thing to point out - the original 'S' (barely legible but definitely an S when viewed under a loupe) from 'STAINLESS' also looks to be in the wrong spot as it is above the 'W' in 'WATER', not slightly below it as shown in the pix posted by OldeCrowe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another good thought but even if you erased a portion of the back you posted it wouldn't like up with mine. Are there other versions of this case back?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may be onto something. I found a case back that is closer to mine stamped 'SGP' and the S is above the W in WATER RESISTANCE.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you explain what you mean? Do you think this a genuine casebook near the end of the production? The serial number indicates its the middle of production (1974).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone - I finally got the answer from Spencer Klein. Someone modified a gold panda caseback and placed it on this watch. Someone has removed the letters to the left of the "ST", they were "SGP BACK". I can even see the reminents of the "K" in back.

Thanks to all and especially Spencer.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's why I asked if there were other versions of the gold panda caseback. There was and Spencer sent me a picture of it; it matches exactly to mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts