The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Seiko 8223-7180 for £10 and was wondering what the logo below the "Seiko" is all about? Looks like a lions head with a crown in a shield, that's why I bought it as I was intrigued.

The watch was in a state but it cleaned up fairly well and I had the right crystal in stock.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
I bought this Seiko 8223-7180 for £10 and was wondering what the logo below the "Seiko" is all about? Looks like a lions head with a crown in a shield, that's why I bought it as I was intrigued.

The watch was in a state but it cleaned up fairly well and I had the right crystal in stock.
Very Nice Mike Sir.

This question has been asked before and going back as far as 2008 when another buyer of the same watch asked the Same question?
Even Isthmus at the time did not know but I have delved a bit more and found
This answer? Whether correct or not:-

I think they were for Seiko's 100 year "soft" anniversary and sales performance leading up to that year. Given to distributors/dealers/employees. Although the company was not building wristwatches, it was formed in 1881. Seiko also produced a very limited number of special centennial edition pocket watches for this anniversary.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Neilo, I hope you are keeping well.

It is a pretty ordinary watch and I was wondering if it was a sub-brand like Seiko "5" but the commemorative logo makes sense.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Thanks Neilo, I hope you are keeping well.

It is a pretty ordinary watch and I was wondering if it was a sub-brand like Seiko "5" but the commemorative logo makes sense.
Glad to Help Mike Sir. and Ditto my friend,Hope you are more than well.
I’m Ok thanks.Fall Day today So Im a bit Sore and Just had a Cortisone Injection in my Knee Joint on Friday (yep my Knee has had enough) which was not the most pleasant pain I’ve experienced but I’m tough as old boots and soldier on.

I do like the Watch Mike And your right the emblem whatever it is certainly sets it off a little like a GS which used a full lion I think at one time on their dials.
Plus what you paid was a Steal👏👏👏👍⌚

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice watch Mike and I have one of these too and was intrigued about the lion logo but couldn’t find a definitive explanation. The 100 year anniversary sounds spot on as mine is from 1981 so thanks for that Neil.:)

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the lion head logo is for "Seiko's 100 year "soft" anniversary", shouldn't we see this logo in other models, including more expensive ones?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jumping into this about a year late, so forgive me but I am on a similar hunt trying to find out more about the Lion Crest models. @junlon has a point here, but if they were really delivered to distributors/dealers/employees as @TheNeilo1 says, Seiko probably picked a cheaper version (every single one I have seen is a lower end Quartz) to pass along since it more than likely came out of their own budget. I bought my first about a year ago, bought a second about 2 months ago and as long as they are cool, I will keep buying them because I really love the logo.

Pics attached, sorry for jumping into your convo, but I have been having the same one on my instagram page for quite some time looking for answers 🙏

JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts