The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered two sets of spring bar pins. I measured the length from lug to lug on the watch and it was as close as I could tell 14mm. I had already had the 13mm and they appear too small is why I went with the 14mm but they seem too long. I believe I have got the wrong pins when I ordered the 13mm.
What I would like to know is how do I measure the pins along, not lug to lug, to see if I really got the correct pins and what is the correct length? If they are wrong I will complain to the sender.
I have one other pin that is in between the two above by just a fraction and it is just right but I need another one but don't know what to order.
Help!

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Spring bars are ordered based upon inter-lug width. The type of spring bar tip (double-shoulder, single- or double-flange, for example) will determine how far the tips can compress, but that measurement may not necessarily be under the nominal length, since some spring bars fit one tip into a lug before the other side, and others require both to be fully compressed at the same time. So one type of bar won't necessarily be a good fit in a case meant for another type, even if they are both "14mm" size. Pictures of what you have and need may help, and keep in mind that often times it is best to obtain genuine spring bars based on the case reference if dealing with a company that offers after-sales parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I don't see a fool-proof way without fully compressing the bar and measuring, and then comparing to a known spring bar of the same type. Most watchmakers when using a generic will have a complete assortment to work from, choosing the best size for the situation at hand, and sometimes even altering the spring bar to better fit. They are an important part of the watch, and if sized poorly could allow for loss or damage if dropped.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
hey who do you recommend getting high quality spring bars from?...i need so many sets and have been leary about buying any till i find a good supplier....God Bless John

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
From what I know. Springbar are measured fully compressed.
Ex. 20mm lug, usually the spring bar will measure to 20mm when fully compressed.

you did not mention the lug width. Therefore, assuming 13mm is the lug width, than 14mm (if fully compressed) is oversize.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad someone put a straight forward simple way to measure spring bar pins. Thanks a lot.
I had ordered a set of 14mm pins and when I got them they were too long. So I ordered a second set of 13mm and they were too short. Not knowing which seller sent the wrong length I blamed the wrong one assumming the 14mm was correct. So I will have to send the second seller an apology.
Recap: I was wanting a 14mm (as measured lug to lug) and the first seller accidently sent a 15mm set measured by the method above. At first I assumed incorrectly that the 14mm he sent was the correct size so I ordered from another seller and specified a shorter 13mm since the aleged 14mm was suppose to be correct but too long. Now I know the second seller was correct and the first seller was mistaken about his size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts