The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Again, if you are following my "Spring" unveilings, you have already seen these first three.

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Now to start on the second box.

Click for Big Image

Once again two tidy bundles, and once again, the one with the strap showing is "calling"! .

Click for Big Image

Getting closer, and that strap is actually a nice one!

Click for Big Image

Wow, it is a 1973 King Seiko Hi-Beat 5636-7041, that has been officially certified to be chronometer grade! A very special watch! Now it was certified 40 years ago, but Seiko actually sent hundreds of their watches in to be individually certified, unlike some brands that would just mark all the watches of the same model as one that was certified.

Click for Big Image

Here is a closer look, it is in pretty good condition apart from several scratches on the crystal, and it seemed reluctant to hand-wind. But on the plus side, the quick-set day and date both work fine!

A 1973 is one of the last 56KS watches with a day/date feature and since it has the 5626B movement it is lacking the monobloc case and cool rack and pinion external adjuster, as well as the gold medallion of the earlier models. And like my similar GS watches, it has the "precision" stick hands and markers.

Click for Big Image

Here is the classy signed crown.

Click for Big Image

The "common" side, showing off Taro Tanaka's "Grammar of Design" - lots of sharp angles and slick curves, with his "embedded saucer" concept of the bezel on the 7040/7041 cases.

Click for Big Image

The plainer case-back.

Click for Big Image

I thin it looks very good on my wrist, with that matte-black strap it asme with. I hope I get to wear it for an extended period soon, I want to see how accurately it runs.

Click for Big Image

Well, that was a very historical and classy addition to my collection! Only one more to go for today!! Whew!

Thanks for playing along!

- Thomas

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't know what you had before this, but you've put together a very nice collection just with these recent pieces. Thanks for letting us enjoy it with you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts