The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been unfortunate enough to break a spring-bar on a clasp and have been trying to find a replacement but so far came out empty handed :( so I thought someone here might know where to source one. The watch is a Citizen Stiletto, older model.

The clasp is 16mm and the spring bar is shoulder-less, nothing unusual until here. But, the clasp has a 2 piece construction, with a reinforcement bar kind of thing fitting on the top (the part stamped "eco-drive" and because of this the shoulder/pin bit is extra long to go through both the hole in the clasp part as well as the top bar bit.

The pivot/end bit measures approx. 1.5mm and the spring bar itself seems to be a 1.5mm thick but haven't got any accurate way of measuring so this is more of a guesstimation and of course 16mm long when installed. I've managed to salvage the end pins/shoulder parts after carefully extracting them from the broken bar.

I sometimes buy things from Cousinsuk but they don't seem to have any longer-shouldered spring bars either, have searched all over their spring bars section.

I know its a bit silly but wouldn't want to just throw the clasp away and replace it, I really like its design.

Any ideas of where to look for one of these "special" spring-bars ? :confused:

Some pics attached here:
http://share.pho.to/6coLm

and also some MS Paint scribbling with the dimmensions :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious - have you tried Citizen UK directly? They may be able to help you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
At the risk of stating the obvious - have you tried Citizen UK directly? They may be able to help you.
Dont live in the UK, otherwise I would have for sure. No local Citizen where I am unfortunately :(

In the meantime, by trying different size springbars I have realized the original one must've been in the 1.5-1.7mm range, since a 1.5 goes thru the pin hole with ease whereas a 1.8mm will not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This might come close. I found a couple ideas on ofrei.com

Swiss Made 1.5 mm Thick Double Flange 16 mm Spring Bar or Short Pivots Single Flange Spring Bar.

I'm not sure it matters much if the pivot is the exact correct length; those are for buckles specifically because you don't want them to stick out further than the thickness of the buckle.
Hi, thanks for that I did see that as well on Ofrei but the tips are no long enough, it needs to be at least 1.3-1.5mm as measured by me, in their description it says the tip is 1.0mm. I put pictures below outlining the 2 parts the pin/pivot needs to protrude through, too short and the top horizontal bar thing would just fall off and not stay in place (the one stamped "Eco Drive")

Also I guess it would be a bit of a hassle for me to order from Ofrei, I'm not in N. America and I don't think they ship elsewhere.
Double Flange Spring Bar fit 16 mm case lug. Bar diameter is 1.5 mm and should be used when a 1.8 mm diameter bar is too thick to go thru pipe on metal bracelet. The pivot diameter past the double flange tip is 0.75 mm and the length is 1.0 mm

·
Registered
708 Posts
ahh I see the issue now and why the longer pivot is needed. I'm guessing the whole thing looks like this:

I automatically assumed if you weren't in the UK, you were in the US. :grin:

Obviously the alternatives would be to replace the whole strap with an OEM replacement (I saw a few on eBay ~$40/ea), or just go with another strap. Alternatively, I'd imagine it's possible to take a double flanged spring bar (assuming the pivot would be longer due to having two flanges) and sand them off. I could see that being challenging though, with a 1mm part!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh I see the issue now and why the longer pivot is needed. I'm guessing the whole thing looks like this:

I automatically assumed if you weren't in the UK, you were in the US. :grin:

Obviously the alternatives would be to replace the whole strap with an OEM replacement (I saw a few on eBay ~$40/ea), or just go with another strap.
Yes, I did see a few (not on eBay though, probably hidden due to my location) but most don't post here and assuming some might, with the new Global shipping BS from eBay that'll mean 60$+ which I'm not willing to spend on this watch. I'd rather hold out and hopefully by some miracle locate a darn spring bar to fit.

As for the sanding part, lets just say I have two left hands, nuff said :undecided:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Arrgggh....Just when I thought I might have cracked this conundrum...have been trying different spring bars and since I had Hirsch strap with 16mm clasp, I removed it and low and behold, the pivots were actually long enough to keep both the parts of the clasp securely in place, even though it's a double flange type!!

But the spring bar itself is too thick to go through the pin of the buckle :cry:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have now ordered a bunch of different spring bars with the hope that at least one will fit.

Thanks to all those that responded!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts