The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a watch with a lot of potential, but also a few issues. Chief amongst these was rust

the crown was completely seized - in fact I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it out of the case (well, not without inflicting serious damage). But, as you can see from the picture above I managed it.

With the crown out, I was able to proceed with the stripdown. At every stage, I try and do as good an inspection as I can. It always proves worthwhile as I might spot a problem that would otherwise be a challenge later on.

So, what do we have here?

not something you see very often. It looks like the impulse jewel from the balance roller table .........

But, no

the impulse jewel is there. So, maybe its a pallet jewel .....

nope - all present and correct.

Ah, I've got it. It's a spare. Included by the previous watchmaker. As a gift. Yep, that will come in handy.

So, fast forward to the final part of the service. Time to re-fit the balance. Prior to assembly I give each part a final micro clean under x40 magnification.

And guess what?

As I was dabbing the balance staff tips and the impulse jewel with rodico, the impulse jewel came out. I think it was being held in place by magic dust.

so, now I have two

inspecting the roller table reveals evidence around the D shaped cavity that the previous watchmaker has scraped away the old shellac and then re-fitted the jewel. But ....... on the underside of the roller table and off to one side was a blob of shellac. Not exactly where it was needed.

So, my guess is that the watchmaker performed what they thought was a good repair, and accidentally left an extra impulse jewel in the movement (infact, thinking it through, maybe it was the original that had fallen out and was thought lost??)

Every vintage watch has a back story ...................

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Hmmm........ that is interesting. I'd agree that maybe it was a lost jewel and the previous watch maker fitted a new one, never seeing the old was there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts