The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I dusted this one off this afternoon and took a few pictures. I particularly like its classic 60's Seiko dial and hands. It's not an automatic, just a hand wind, and it doesn't have a date quick set feature either. On the other hand it is a relatively thin watch.

The case back has the Seahorse logo:

[img]

And the movement seems to be in pretty good shape after 44 years:

[img]

I believe Martin knows this watch quite well, according to one of his posts it was one of his first vintage Seiko's. ;) And here is one of his posts about the Skyliner line of Seiko's: [url=http://larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1190050520]http://larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1190050520[/url]

Edit: I put pictures of both the 6222A and 5740 movements side by side as they seem vaguely similar.

[img]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8251/movementscomppp1.jpg

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That's a nice example Andrew - I've got quite fond of straightforward hand winders. And for comparison, Citizen also first produced their Hi-Line in 1961, later adding a date version in 1963. It was produced until 1970, so had a similar run to the Sky Liner.

My example is from 1962:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sweephand,
Aren't these watches simple yet elegant? ;)

That Citizen is absolutely gorgeous, btw. Interestingly, the hands, markers and dial have a family look, Seiko used "Diashock" whereas Citizen used "Parashock", and "Waterproof" vs. "Parawater", and the cursive font is also vaguely similar: it seems Citizen and Seiko were competing in the same market segment, it would be interesting to know their respective prices at the time, I would bet they would be the same or very close!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ADB said:
Hi Sweephand,
Aren't these watches simple yet elegant? ;)

That Citizen is absolutely gorgeous, btw. Interestingly, the hands, markers and dial have a family look, Seiko used "Diashock" whereas Citizen used "Parashock", and "Waterproof" vs. "Parawater", and the cursive font is also vaguely similar: it seems Citizen and Seiko were competing in the same market segment, it would be interesting to know their respective prices at the time, I would bet they would be the same or very close!
They are very nice - I've come to like them more and more. It would be interesting to know which company was first to get these to the market, and how far they were watching each other ('scuse the bad pun!). The price of the Hi-Line at the time was from 6,400JPY to 10,500JPY. Mine would be at the lower end, whilst the 27j version, probably gold plated, would be at the top end.

Sweephand

·
Registered
964 Posts
I love posts like that!
Thanks a lot for sharing!

ADB said:
I put pictures of both the 6222A and 5740 movements side by side as they seem vaguely similar.
Well, the different balance size really catches the attention there.
Clearly understandable as the 5740 is a high beat.

Stephen, that Hi-Line is simply stunning. I come the conclusion, that you fish in Yahoo-Japan - maybe I should consider that as well. ;)

Cheers,

Axel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts