The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's a Seiko 7548-7009 SQ Quartz Diver on its original Z199 stainless steel bracelet.
The model number is stamped on the case back.
This particular mod was released for the US/ N. American markets.

·
Special Member
2,681 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread but only take a slight detour :)

All of the Z199 bracelets I have owned came with the longer clasp and all are stamped SQ. The 7548 Quartz Diver came in 2 different versions - an International (Marked SQ on the Dial) and a JDM Japan Domestic Market (No SQ on the Dial). Did Seiko make the Z199 bracelet for the JDM watches with No SQ stamped on the Clasp or are all the Z199 Bracelets stamped SQ regardless of the market/country destination?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread but only take a slight detour :)

All of the Z199 bracelets I have owned came with the longer clasp and all are stamped SQ. The 7548 Quartz Diver came in 2 different versions - an International (Marked SQ on the Dial) and a JDM Japan Domestic Market (No SQ on the Dial). Did Seiko make the Z199 bracelet for the JDM watches with No SQ stamped on the Clasp or are all the Z199 Bracelets stamped SQ regardless of the market/country destination?
I've sourced 2 of my Z199 as bracelets only.
The 3rd one came as a complete set with a 7548 SQ Diver.
All of them have the SQ stamp on the clasp.

·
Special Member
2,681 Posts
I've sourced 2 of my Z199 as bracelets only.
The 3rd one came as a complete set with a 7548 SQ Diver.
All of them have the SQ stamp on the clasp.

Your experience with the Z199 is similar to mine. All of my Z199s came with SQ marked Clasps. Over the years I have purchased about 7 - 7548 that came with their original Z199s and they have all been 7548 SQ Divers. I switch bracelets around quite often - Best 7548 Divers get the Z199s. I have bought many JDM 7548's but can not remember if I ever bought one that came on its original Z199? Maybe the better questions are:

Did Seiko ever sell the JDM 7548 on a Z199 Bracelet or did they all originally come supplied with Rubber Straps (XGL831 or GL831)? Did only the 7548 SQ Marked Quartz Divers (International Market) get the Z199 Bracelets?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your experience with the Z199 is similar to mine. All of my Z199s came with SQ marked Clasps. Over the years I have purchased about 7 - 7548 that came with their original Z199s and they have all been 7548 SQ Divers. I switch bracelets around quite often - Best 7548 Divers get the Z199s. I have bought many JDM 7548's but can not remember if I ever bought one that came on its original Z199? Maybe the better questions are:

Did Seiko ever sell the JDM 7548 on a Z199 Bracelet or did they all originally come supplied with Rubber Straps (XGL831 or GL831)? Did only the 7548 SQ Marked Quartz Divers (International Market) get the Z199 Bracelets?
That's what my gut tells me – 7548 JDM had the X-/GL831 rubber strap option only. And 7548 SQ had the Z199 or 831 options.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I'll be the contrarian. I flipped all my Z199s. Don't like how thin they are in cross section it looks cheap even if it is not. Also don't like the double links for fitment.

To each his own I guess.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
All the talk about is it/isn't a Z199 aside... Lovely watch there Sir.
And a lovely gesture by whoever purchased it for you. That history alone would make it a keeper for me.
Treat it to a new bezel, get it serviced with new gaskets etc and wear it for another 37 years :)

Thanks for sharing.

Graham

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
A quick look at the underside of the end links and it's easy to tell :)

The end links sure like right to me, you rarely find the 'jubillee' style flat like these are, which is not only part of the Z199 look but also a very pleasing clean style element that I really like about them.

These look more like the end of a pin then the end of a Z199 link screw to my eye:
Z199 perhaps.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts