The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Seiko 5606-5110 knowing that it was going to take a little tlc to make it presentable.
These photos show the condition at the start, there are multiple scratches on the crystal and case with a considerable build up of gunge.

Before dismantling the watch I decided to remove the scratches from the crystal while it was held firmly in the case. This was done using a small block of wood and fine emery paper until all the scratches apart from a couple of deep pits were gone. The final polish was done with a cloth and Solvol Autosol. The next step was to remove the movement from the case to enable cleaning. These square cases can be a bit of a pain without the Seiko case opener, but careful pushing against the spring loaded catch with 2 small screwdrivers will do the job. The red arrows show where.

Once the top is off it is possible to see how much dust and dirt had entered the case top over the years. Note the rubber gasket around the dial, this seals against the crystal and prevents ingress of dust and dirt to the movement. It should also keep it from the dial but as can be seen here it was not too successful.

With the dust brushed off the dial and the rubber gasket removed it is time to remove the movement. With the crown pushed in locate the little hole in the setting lever that can be seen looking down where the red arrow is. Pushing this will release the stem and it can be pulled out.

The movement can now be removed from the back case. Fortunately in this instance the movement was remarkably clean and I decided to put it on one side to reinstall later.

Now the casing,strap and crystal can be cleaned, first I gave them 3 minutes in a hot soapy ultrasonic bath. The gunge was so thick that this removed very little so I removed most of it manually with a toothbrush and scraper. Once done it went back in the bath for another 3 minutes, and then was rinsed thoroughly and left to dry on a radiator (not the crystal). The rubber gasket was cleaned carefully and lastly the crown and stem assembly was cleaned and oiled prior to reassembly.
Using the emery and wood block again I removed the worst scratches from the case but was reluctant to remove too much for fear of losing the sharp angles. I think maybe a milling machine may be the way forward to do these properly. This was then polished with with Solvol Autosol and a felt wheel on a drill. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Once the movement is dropped into the backcase the setting lever must be depressed to fit the stem. The rubber gasket and crystal is then put into place and the backcase assembly carefully reinserted into the front case.
The end result is a watch which may not be quite like new but definitely looks a lot better than before.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Now that's a transformation... Nice work and a great result!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
wow....great work and love the details...very beautiful watch

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Beautiful work, and the watch itself tells us you did it all in just about 2 days time.

I always love a good BEFORE and AFTER !:bowing:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great work. Excellent write up. Thanks for taking the time to share this project.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
mine says hi...hope it cleans up that well

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi jringo, that one looks as if it will clean up nicely.
In response to the question about the grit I can't quite remember but I think I started with about 800 or 1000 and finished with 1500. I didn't totally remove all scratches as I was worried about losing the sharp edges. For a future project I would like to try a milling machine or jig to hold the case exactly at the right angles.
As for time it actually took about 2 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
hey can u tell us more about the polishing compound...Solvol Autosol..i have never heard of it...i was wondering if a dremel with attachments would work too...any help will so be appreciated...God Bless John...i love that all the original lines are still there...that is my worry when i ever try and touch the finish

·
Registered
423 Posts
Great job and excellent write up.

2 1/2 hrs seems darn quick.

Thanks for sharing.

jringo you can find Solvol Autosol in most auto parts stores. In with the
waxes and polishes. Maybe even WallyMart auto section.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well i will have to look for it...never even heard of it...thank you for info

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Great job and excellent write up.

2 1/2 hrs seems darn quick.

Thanks for sharing.

jringo you can find Solvol Autosol in most auto parts stores. In with the
waxes and polishes. Maybe even WallyMart auto section.

Perhaps a dumb question - but is there any benefit to using this autosol stuff on a felt wheel for polishing versus rouge?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well i have been in auto parts since 1990 here in NY state...and never even heard of this...i can't wait to try some

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I first started using it to polish alloy motorcycle crankcases in the early 60's and have never been without a tube since. I've never tried jewellers rouge but this seems to do the job nicely. It will also clean up dull paintwork but you have to be gentle.
2 1/2 hrs does seem quick but that was the time I wrote down when I did it so must be about right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts