The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until very recently, Grand Seiko watches were not available here in Australia. I have since discovered that they now are here.
I was browsing in the window of an upmarket watch shop, when to my surprise I spotted a small Grand Seiko display off to one side (For all you fellow Sydneysiders, they are in the watch shop in QVB).

Now some people question my sanity here, but I was...

..underwhelmed.

Yes. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting to see, but there didn't seem to be any "x factor" to them. They were just a bunch of stainless steel watches in a window. I prefer understated watches, more slimline rather than hockey puck on the wrist. I totally get the whole concept of elegant without having to be flashy. I appreciate the 'less is more' aesthetic. However I couldn't help but feel that in the case of the Grand Seikos, less is less. Seiko make a lot of nice watches, the SARB line being standout performers but for me the GS isn't. I'm not for a second disputing the quality of the watch. Just the aesthetic.
I guess ultimately, if I owned one I couldn't imagine myself just stopping to study and enjoy it, in the way I do my Orient Star that comes in at one tenth (or less) of the price of a GS. In fact, I would almost go for a SARB instead and put the rest towards a Nomos.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the GS is a little too plain to the point of being boring?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It the simplicity, accompanied with excellence craftsmanship, that are making the beauty of the GS line.
You have to look at them for sometimes to discern it.
I am owning the SBGX103, And it terrific

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I think they look great, and can't be compared to anything in the SARB line.
I have held quite a few of them, but the price is not in my price range.

·
Registered
530 Posts
A lot of people characterize them as "old man watches". You have to get a loupe and examine them up close and then you understand what they are all about. Some of the models look very much like Patek-Philippe and I never heard anyone say anything negative about them.

·
Special Member
7,045 Posts
Then perhaps the 36000 bph GMT is more to your liking as it packs some "Wow Factor" Same with their Diver model

Remember the modern GS Quartz models ( "X" or "F" for 4th letter) are designed to be elegant and can then be taken as underwhelming, especially with black or silver dials Again it is that very simplicity that gives them their appeal. I find them all incredible. Flip over a mechanical model and take a look at the movement - you'll be hooked.

Trust me the blue dial mechanicals and SBGA011 Snowflake Spring Drive will not underwhelm anyone who likes and appreciates watches.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's OK. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sorry, but any excuse to re show this pic. Been lucky enough to handle and try on the Grand Seiko Automatic Hi-Beat 36000 SBGH001 and it is truely amazing. My number one grail.

I always skipped past the GS to begin with. Mainly as out of my price range. But then i though, to hell with it. Life is to short. So GS is now a range i always look at.

Those who have one in their collection, i salute you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was initially underwhelmed by GS as well, but was eventually hooked by the simple elegance and workmanship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi all, my responses to several comments (btw how do you quote multiple users in one post?)

I think they look great, and can't be compared to anything in the SARB line.
I have held quite a few of them, but the price is not in my price range.
Yes it is, you will have to save your money for a lot longer though :)

M-4:Which model GS did you see ?

I'm not sure. There were several on display.

estrickland: Did you get a chance to try them on, or look at them up close? I can't tell from your post.

No and no. The closest I got was looking at them in the window.

NelsonE: I never heard anyone say anything negative about them.

There's a first time for everything. Does that make me a bad person? :grin:

Grammarofdesign: Trust me the blue dial mechanicals and SBGA011 Snowflake Spring Drive will not underwhelm anyone who likes and appreciates watches.

Thanks for the lead, I'll have a look at those.

I wold like to emphasise again that I am not disputing the quality and workmanship of the GS. That is beyond doubt. Just the aesthetic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is gorgeous :3tens:

Sorry, but any excuse to re show this pic. Been lucky enough to handle and try on the Grand Seiko Automatic Hi-Beat 36000 SBGH001 and it is truely amazing. My number one grail.

I always skipped past the GS to begin with. Mainly as out of my price range. But then i though, to hell with it. Life is to short. So GS is now a range i always look at.

Those who have one in their collection, i salute you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Up until very recently, Grand Seiko watches were not available here in Australia. I have since discovered that they now are here.
I was browsing in the window of an upmarket watch shop, when to my surprise I spotted a small Grand Seiko display off to one side (For all you fellow Sydneysiders, they are in the watch shop in QVB).

Now some people question my sanity here, but I was...

..underwhelmed.

Yes. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting to see, but there didn't seem to be any "x factor" to them. They were just a bunch of stainless steel watches in a window. I prefer understated watches, more slimline rather than hockey puck on the wrist. I totally get the whole concept of elegant without having to be flashy. I appreciate the 'less is more' aesthetic. However I couldn't help but feel that in the case of the Grand Seikos, less is less. Seiko make a lot of nice watches, the SARB line being standout performers but for me the GS isn't. I'm not for a second disputing the quality of the watch. Just the aesthetic.
I guess ultimately, if I owned one I couldn't imagine myself just stopping to study and enjoy it, in the way I do my Orient Star that comes in at one tenth (or less) of the price of a GS. In fact, I would almost go for a SARB instead and put the rest towards a Nomos.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the GS is a little too plain to the point of being boring?
Maybe you will be happy with SD Dive SBGA031?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I own a GS but if another person does not like it and has good reasons for it beyond 'its a Seiko' I totally respect that. I like skinny gals. My best bud likes them with a lot more meat on the bone. I respect his taste and I totally see where he is coming from. Its all good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts