The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I also am thinking that that the day wheel is not English which is a pretty good clue that this watch was not sold new in North America or Europe either. I do not know what day wheel the Australian sold models had.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK love those H&M hands Michael, the first post pic was fuzzy so that through me off.

The PROOF models (and early Resists) came with the '2-peice sweep second hand'. The one you have mounted is really nice, does suggest a service hand replacement by Seiko AD.

Love that dial I was worried about the smudge but is a really nice original.

Aside from the rare Australia models, these should have the yellow indicator ring (inner rotating ring). Did this come from Australia? Definitely as old as the hills faded gray but I happen to think that Gold Pogues should always have a yellow inner ring unless you know the provenance included OEM sale in Australia + it is important to you to maintain the Aussie-only flair. I have a spare yellow ring PM me if interested.

This is most likely why I will part this watch out when I sell it. I don't have the patience to deal with the "Pouge" Nazi's picking the watch apart when I list it. It is much easier to sell of the parts separately.

Michael

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are two dial variations I've learned recently. The R dial is slightly darker and has a serif on the 1 on the sub dial and the yellow dial is a T dial with no serif.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also am thinking that that the day wheel is not English which is a pretty good clue that this watch was not sold new in North America or Europe either. I do not know what day wheel the Australian sold models had.

Michael
The 6139-6002 is not a US watch. Many entered the country via the armed forces and the PX system. In fact, there are way more of these around -than the 6139-6005 which is the official US version

·
Registered
778 Posts
My aussie 6002 has an english / roman numeral wheel from memory. I got a quick look at it before it changed over to the english again one morning last week.

I'm going to see if i can go through my Seiko guys 6139's and find a kanji day wheel for it. Just you know.. because they are cool.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My aussie 6002 has an english / roman numeral wheel from memory. I got a quick look at it before it changed over to the english again one morning last week.

I'm going to see if i can go through my Seiko guys 6139's and find a kanji day wheel for it. Just you know.. because they are cool.
Agreed: If you can't find one I'll look through my stuff.

·
Registered
778 Posts
That would be awesome! Can you check just in case?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I myself would install a Kanji day wheel on every Seiko I own if I had enough of them. Something about the Kanji day wheel somehow really lets you know the watches origin. My second favorite day wheel is Arabic.

As to the PM yes I have read them from the members that this relates to. I will absolutely contact you first before offering it to anyone else. I only grabbed this watch because it was a good deal and I knew a member here would appreciate it a lot more than I would. I still had no idea what the dial looked like as you can see from the picture. I just knew it ran and I figured some member here could put the movement to good use on a project watch. I actually said holy bleep! out loud when I pulled the stem out and flip the case over in my hand an I was staring at a proof dial. I also had no idea the ring was original black either I though it was just a faded yellow ring until I saw the back half. It appears the numbering on the dial were originally silver? I know they are on my 6119-6023 Sports 70 that has the inner rotating black ring. I will PM those who PM me about the watch tomorrow as it is late here 2:15 PM to be exact!

Michael

·
Registered
778 Posts
For $50US I think I'll see what my Seiko guy has first haha. Thanks for having a gander anyway!

·
Registered
309 Posts
As soon as I jet the parts it is going together and it will be listed on eBay...
This is most likely why I will part this watch out when I sell it. I don't have the patience to deal with the "Pouge" Nazi's picking the watch apart when I list it. It is much easier to sell of the parts separately.
So what is the plan, part it out or scrub it up a bit and sell it complete?

IMO it would be a shame to part it out. The proof dial, notched case and movement if it is original (6139A) belong together, unless of course if it is mish-mash of parts with a B movement and wrong case back...

·
Registered
170 Posts
So what is the plan, part it out or scrub it up a bit and sell it complete?

IMO it would be a shame to part it out. The proof dial, notched case and movement if it is original (6139A) belong together, unless of course if it is mish-mash of parts with a B movement and wrong case back...
I agree. Come on, Michael. ...Post pictures of the whole watch!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
really good find.
i think I've been through moments of buying something "for some reason".
I wouldn't go so far as to call it ugly, but the gold is really loud on this one and it makes it kinda kitsch.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sorry been a busy week and I have not gotten back to this post. I actually forgot about this post pretty much. Most of the watch has already been parted out paid for and shipped last week. The notched case. stem assembly, chinese day wheel and 6139A movement are all shipped off to their new owners. I still have the proof dial hand set and pushers to sell off. None of the items lasted more than a couple of days on eBay. The back of the case was worn but you could read the 6139-6002 the serial number and still see the outline of the Seiko emblem. I do not know what market it would have been sold in when it was new with a Chinese day wheel? I have never seen a Chinese day wheel on any Seiko watch with the exceptions of a couple of other 6139 watches and the both had black inner bezels so I would guess whatever market they were made for the Chinese day wheel and the black inner bezel must have went together in this market.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts