The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This 6139 Pouge followed me home lat week. To me the Pouge is one ugly watch but I figured the parts would be worth the price and the crystal was so bad I did not really know what was under there.

So I got it home. The pushers where loaded with gunk so I could not really test the chronograph functions but it was running. So I pulled the back cover off and was met with a nice clean movement and a balance wheel ticking away. I pulled the stem and removed the holder and flipped it over in my hand and was met with this beauty.

A mint gold "proof" Pouge dial with near perfect hands too. I manually worked the chronograph levers and the hands reset to zero The stem gear and spring are perfect. The inner dial ring looks like this though but Im not complaning.

Here I was though I was buying some good spares and I run into a proof dial Pouge that just needs a new crystal which I have plenty of and a NOS bezel insert. The case is in decent condition also. Once I have the time to source a NOS inner bezel and reassemble the watch this baby is eBay bound!

Michael

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I pulled the stem and removed the holder and flipped it over in my hand and was met with this beauty.

Michael
And there we have it. Another Convert!..............:)

Bout time you came around Michael!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No convert here. As soon as I jet the parts it is going together and it will be listed on eBay. They are just way to ugly for my tastes.

Michael

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
No convert here. As soon as I jet the parts it is going together and it will be listed on eBay. They are just way to ugly for my tastes.

Michael
To each his own but I'm sure you're in the minority.........:)

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
There's a fair amount wrong here. It appears to be a cobble job.

AM H&M and sweep seconds hand so probably the sub dial too.

I question if that's an AM dial.

That inner rotating dial is very faded and of coursecthe wrong color

The tachy bezel is not faded so is probably AM.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dial looks okay to me the repro ones don't have that colouring around the sub dial. Although not sure on that black blob on the bottom right line of text.

The rotating bezel also looks legit. Some came with black ones instead of yellow (mine was one of them..).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
You're in the same boat as my better half. She absolutely hates it when I wear my Pogue out with her.

But I don't care, I still wear it anyway. I love my Pogue :p

Michael

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think it is a very pretty watch.
I'd be a player for it, before it hits eBay.
I'd send you a PM ...but cannot as am not allowed, yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here is the watch head and below it a set of NOS Seiko hands for the 6139 6005 as well as and original minute chrono hand. I can not see even the smallest differences between the hands on the watch and the NOS parts in the picture.
As far as the dial I have never seen a reproduction "proof" dial ever. Almost all of the dials being reproduced right now are actually completely blank where the dial would be marked with either proof or resist. These is no doubt in my mind that this is a genuine dial movement and hand set. Unless someone has other pictures that show something different. I know the NOS hands I have are absolutely NOS hands and not reproductions.
The mark on the dial appears to be a smudge when they printed the second set of numbers on the dial. A defect that must have slipped past the inspectors.
This is an aftermarket dial

My dial

and the NOS hands

Michael

Michael

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think the dial is definitely legit and as you say just has a printing defect. The after markets just don't look quite the same and they don't have the coloration around the sub dial either.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Here's a picture of my dial for comparison. Note that yours is a T dial with no serif on the sub dial 1 and would be the lighter yellow whereas mine is slightly darker and has the serif, and is an R dial.

You can see the same sub dial coloration on mine.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Well here is the watch head and below it a set of NOS Seiko hands for the 6139 6005 as well as and original minute chrono hand. I can not see even the smallest differences between the hands on the watch and the NOS parts in the picture.
As far as the dial I have never seen a reproduction "proof" dial ever. Almost all of the dials being reproduced right now are actually completely blank where the dial would be marked with either proof or resist. These is no doubt in my mind that this is a genuine dial movement and hand set. Unless someone has other pictures that show something different. I know the NOS hands I have are absolutely NOS hands and not reproductions.
The mark on the dial appears to be a smudge when they printed the second set of numbers on the dial. A defect that must have slipped past the inspectors.
This is an aftermarket dial

My dial

and the NOS hands

Michael

Michael
I think the reason for calling them AM hands (they might be original Seiko ones) is that you've got an early Pogue there. Notched case and "proof". These came with the old style two part sweep chrono hand.
Might be that the owner got it serviced and they were replaced by Seiko.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The original early hands were also frosted and not polished like those. They could be service hands.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
OK love those H&M hands Michael, the first post pic was fuzzy so that through me off.

The PROOF models (and early Resists) came with the '2-peice sweep second hand'. The one you have mounted is really nice, does suggest a service hand replacement by Seiko AD.

Love that dial I was worried about the smudge but is a really nice original.

Aside from the rare Australia models, these should have the yellow indicator ring (inner rotating ring). Did this come from Australia? Definitely as old as the hills faded gray but I happen to think that Gold Pogues should always have a yellow inner ring unless you know the provenance included OEM sale in Australia + it is important to you to maintain the Aussie-only flair. I have a spare yellow ring PM me if interested.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Are there really two different color gold dials? I always thought this was just lighting conditions and sun fade that caused the color variants. Also never knew the older hands had a different finish as mentioned in this thread.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts