The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Great find Tony!
Me as one of the young guns here (just 44), that reminds me of my "Gymnasium" (somehow but not really comparable to High-school) days.
We grew up with that stuff!

I'm still waiting for the right Japanese Vintage LCD to come up for me.
So far, besides some modern Casios and a no-name pulse-watch, the only LCD I own is an old Revue:

Cheers,

Axel

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
"1974 -- Working with Sharp Company, Orient released an LCD Quartz digital watch."

Quoted from Orient's historical timeline....

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That's a cool find! And some contraption to hold the battery in...almost like a G Shock.

I am curious...was there a trimmer screw in there somewhere? I can't see one in your picture, but the battery holder is so large. I'm just curious if this was a more standard feature on plder quartz modules.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the response from Orient in Japan..
We received your e-mail on 7th/April/2010 again.
Thank you for your information and sending picture in this time.
This digital quartz model No.is 040602-40. At the moment, we did not have any special names or numbers for this model.
It was produced on around 1985, and, we are using Orient digital movement, caliber Q4000 Made in Japan.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
Thanks again for purchasing Orient watch.
Orient Watch Co., Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan
Customer Relations

·
Registered
187 Posts
anzac1957 said:
This one just came into my possession complete with original box..
Interesting and maybe a rare find.
I suspect that it was made for Orient by one of the larger companies in Japan given the cost of setting up such a production line.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Unfortunately, finding information about vintage Orient digital watch calibers is proving to be an exercise in futility. However, it is very doubtful that Orient had the know-how and production capability to develop their own LCD modules. The company time line lists the 1974 release of the Orient LCd watch as having been co-developed with Sharp electronics. Make sense to me.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Furthermore, the current Ana-digi modules used in some "Breitling Airwolf/B1" type of Orient quartz watch are being sourced from Citizen-Miyota. Those watches are the only Orients that do not use Seiko sourced quartz calibers. This goes to show that Orient, at its very core, is a mechanical watch company. Orient does not produce any quartz movements in house. They are either sourced from parent company Seiko or Miyota.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
minidriver said:
Unfortunately, finding information about vintage Orient digital watch calibers is proving to be an exercise in futility. However, it is very doubtful that Orient had the know-how and production capability to develop their own LCD modules. The company time line lists the 1974 release of the Orient LCd watch as having been co-developed with Sharp electronics. Make sense to me.
Thanks.. Can you provide a link to the timeline you are referring as the one I found didn't include any mention of Sharp electronics.. Always like to know more about whatn I have in the collection..

Cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
anzac1957 said:
It would be nice to find out for sure.. but who to ask??
Perhaps someone fluent in Japanese could email Orient Japan. Perhaps there's a "Tokunaga" of Orient. Incidentally, how did Tokunaga-san learn of the SCWF?

EDIT: Woops! I see you have emailed Orient Japan. My apologies for not reading the entire thread before posting. :)

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Selym said:
Perhaps someone fluent in Japanese could email Orient Japan. Perhaps there's a "Tokunaga" of Orient. Incidentally, how did Tokunaga-san learn of the SCWF?

EDIT: Woops! I see you have emailed Orient Japan. My apologies for not reading the entire thread before posting. :)

Best,
Myles
and they didn't require me to be fluent in Japanese either.. I find that they are usually very helpful..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts