The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, after 4 weeks of consideration I pulled the trigger and ordered the 36mm version of Eddie Platt's Smith re-issue:
http://www.timefactors.com/smiths.htm

Everybody knowing me will not be surprised, that I voted for the 36mm version (as I normally don't like to bulky watches and I'm a fan of plexi, i.e. acrylic).
But this time I was really taking my time to make the choice.
In the end some reviews of already owners convinced me, that my first drift was right:
http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123645
http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123645

Of course I considered buying a vintage W10, but I'm not willing to pay a military premium for a vintage (note: you can get an Omega Constellation for the money of an vintage Smith!).
On the other hand, the re-issue, while costing not much less than a vintage (if you have the patience), is imho priced according to the market, not asking any premium for the military aura.
Moreover, I will have more confidence in using the watch as a beater, as I know parts availability should not be an issue soon.

So: can anyone post pics of a W10 or the re-issue (Brane, you might post your nice pics!)?
And what are thoughts in general about that watch?

Cheers,

AXel

·
Registered
530 Posts
I saw those and also saw the ollech & wajs models which I thought were more unique especially with the AS Mvmt. I ordered one of those.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a link to show, which O&W you are talking about?

Or do you mean those?

They are totally different: date, auto, mineral chrystal, no extra anti magnetic protection and I think not even a hacking feature. Also a totally different design.
But if you prefer them, that's more than fair. For sure a vintage AS movement has more flair as an ETA 2801, and I think they are a real bang for a buck.

Cheers,

Axel ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
In my case I have the Hamilton Kaki small size which looks very much like the Smiths and has the similar movmt but with date display. My feeling is if your going to make a watch that is a homage it should be as close as possible. The old watches had base metal cases with pry off backs so since your going to use stainless and screwed on backs you may as well go all the way with a sapphire xtl and stainless case too. That's what hamilton did.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting point of view, but the literally the only obvious differences between the re-issue and the original Smith W10 are the use of Super Luminova, the "Great Britain" instead of "Made in England" and the calibre. Obviously it cannot use Tritium anymore (without using tubes, what would ruin the appearance of hands and markers) and of course the original movement is not available anymore, "Made in England" cannot be used, as too many parts come from other countries (probably the cost of the parts is exceeding the cost of British parts, if there are any, and the labour cost in Britain).
I still think this a good homage.

Could you post a pic of your Hamilton?
The most ones I've seen have more an American style (having that 23h to 24h indication) and don't look similar to the W10 spec (I'm pretty sure they will not have the broad arrow - not that this would be of any value for me).

Personally I also don't like date indications and sapphires (a scratched acrylic will not ruin the function of the watch, where a shivered sapphire could) on military watches, but as said, these are personal preferences.

Cheers;

Axel

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would like to join this little conversation ;D
The new Smith re-issue it beautifully made and as Eddie always does - with higher specs.
It is made for the "right" reasons - the love for those Mil watches, pure & simple.

The Hamilton is another story, all the re-issues or homages are from another POV, and were made
(as far as I know) after the name "Hamilton" was bought by the Swatch giant (cant remember the name of the group),
as a marketing strategy.

I have one, bought in 1997, "Swiss" on the dial, case made in HK, plastic movement ring,
Basic 2824. It's a nice watch, and looks very nice, including a gloss dial, drilled lugs, display caseback,
signed crown and a domed mineral crystal, but it still feels like a replica, not like a re-issue.

Here is a quick shot:

Don't get me wrong, I think the Hamy is a nice watch, but even without actually handling a Smith re-issue,
the Smith appears to be in a different, higher league. JMHO

·
Registered
530 Posts
My Hamilton is a bit different. It has a dark green dial and doesn't have the railroad track on the dial. It has the ETA 2803 mvmt. Really if you saw the original hamilton WWll military except for saying Khaki and the date it looks identical. Even has a Khaki strap but with a leather backing. I'll take a photo when I get the chance. It doesn't have a mvmt spacer. It doesn't need one as it's the original size about 32mm I guess. It has a totally bead blasted finish to match the original parkerized plate. Also the ollech & wajs has Tritium paint on the dial. I haven't gotten it yet so I can't confirm it but that's what the specs say. Also the arrow on the dial is a British thing so no U.S model would have that including the originals whether Hamilton or Elgin or Waltham.

I used to have an original Hamilton that was made for sale in the PX's during WWII with a cream dial and the military service insignia's on the dial. Plated case,acrylic dial,snap back case and original Hamilton Mvmt. No shock resistance and the jewels were set with shellac and had a bad habit of falling out as the shellac dried out and began to crack especially with shock. Nice to have and wear on occasion but for a daily wearer I'll take a modern version.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't wait to hear more feedback Axel. I was of the belief that the 39mm would be my choice until I read Murgie's review. Now I am unsure and will wait for more feedback from friends like yourself.

People have felt so strongly on the PRS53 for years but I was hesitant as I can't bear 18mm lugs (for no good reason).... 20mm fixed on the 36mm case looks great.

;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know, if I get you right, but the shown Smith has 18mm fixed lugs.
After 4 days of wearing the watch now, it seems to loose a constant 4s/d, so I might soon adjust it near 0 or to a small +.
So far, I'm very happy with that purchase.
There're just a few things that don't bother me, but I wouldn't need them (if I could have got the watch a few bucks cheaper without those, I would have gone for such a "decontended" version):
- these para-military case-back engraving
- the additional clip on leather straps (I don't like their design)
- the 2 watch traveller case
O.k. maybe one real minus (might be a plus for others, though):
The fixed bars - they reduce the flexibilty to try other straps a bit.

Here's another pic:

Cheers,

Axel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts