The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes.. after a few days of human contact with multiple wet/dry/hot/kids cycles the band gets a bit smelly...
I take it off and rinse it and let it dry overnight but that has caused that I forgot the watch a few times and that is a no-no (no man should endure the pain of a day without a watch ;) )

Any ideas on how to keep it un-smelly (is that a word?)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
oracle said:
Yes.. after a few days of human contact with multiple wet/dry/hot/kids cycles the band gets a bit smelly...
I take it off and rinse it and let it dry overnight but that has caused that I forgot the watch a few times and that is a no-no (no man should endure the pain of a day without a watch ;) )

Any ideas on how to keep it un-smelly (is that a word?)

Thanks

I think metal is the most hygienic, followed by rubber (either natural or silicone). Having said that, your best defense against a smelly nylon strap is frequent washing.

Silver is a natural antimicrobial. I have a pair of shoes that allegedly have silver particles in the insole to keep microbes (and the resulting odors) at bay. I wonder if it would be possible to embed silver micro or nano particles in a nylon watch band.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
232 Posts
You want something that really works.....soak the strap in white vinegar overnight. Then rinse it very good and soak it again in water overnight. Otherwise I vote to get another strap!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I do something to my straps that keeps them smelling great and i never have to wash them... I replace them with bracelets! ;D

As was said above, bracelets are just more hygienic, and FAR easier to clean and keep clean.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your comments.
The problem is that use a Timex Ironman nylon watch (Most comfortable band known to mankind ;) ) that has the elastic material that goes behind the fat bars, so replacing a number of times is not practical. I'm not in favour of chemicals and vinegar? Yikes! I use it in the kitchen drain when it's smelly.

I'll stick to soap and water.. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts