The Watch Site banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
I want to say thank you for all of your time and effort in creating this thread for us to enjoy. I have really enjoyed it a lot. Now I realize you are down to only 8 more examples :-( What a great archive this thread will become. Hat is off to you :)
Thank you ! It's been fun and it's great to see the many SKXs from everyone. Let me finish up Mod Week tomorrow and then as you say finish strong !

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
SKXruary 21 - The Final SKX007 Mod this week - A Field Watch

This mod really is a bit of a mash-up but that's OK too it really rounds out the thousands of ways to take an SKX007 and mod it. Plus, I wanted to drop the Dragonshroud plastic "tuna shroud" into the equation before this week of strictly mods came to an end.

So in an effort to be somewhat Military or Field watch, this takes the SNZH15 field dial, non-arrow hands, black day wheel and a black bezel, and a black ceramic insert.
Wrapped it in one of those Dragonshroud plastic snap-on tuna shrouds, used a Dagaz Gear Crown to extend past the shroud for utility and add some heft to the design, and mounted it on a James Bond ("Craig Bond" version) NATO.

Second photo shows it with and without the Dragonshroud.

Take it or leave it, the breadth of what one can do with a blank slate SKX007 case is highlighted here.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
SKXruary 22 - The "Midsize" Variant SKX013 - 7S26-0030

Moving away from mods, turning attention to a big fan favorite with a legion of fans for its resemblance to the SKX007 yet in a smaller package, the 7S26-0030 aka SKX013. The 7S26-0030 case code comes in three choices: The SKX013 shown here, the less often seen navy blue dial with pepsi bezel version SKX015 (think mini-SKX009) and the rare and very hard to find orange dial SKX017 (think mini-SKX011). Finding an SKX017 with an original orange dial (not the aftermarket replacement) takes some serious doing but it can be worth the wait if you are a 38mm collector. (LATE EDIT: Just found an original SKX017 added to the end of this post)

This does not share the SKX007 case so it is not a variant. Using the same basic dial design and general case shape, it comes in at 38mm diameter vs the SKX007 at 43mm. The thickness is the same at 13mm. The lugs are 20 mm vs the SKX007 with its 22mm lugs. It looks and wears a lot smaller. See the second photo for comparison.

An easy way to tell the SKX013 is the hand shapes, both hour and minute are more rounded but the easier tell is the pointer style seconds hand. I really like this watch and it is very well balanced but for me it's a bit on the small size for anything but the occasional 'going small today' rotation days.

With the same rugged 7S26 movement, 200 meter water resistance, Hardlex crystal, and SKX007 styling, this makes for a fan favorite among those with smaller wrists, with women and teens, and those who prefer the old school sizing.

The SKX013 and SKX015 siblings came on both wavy vent rubber straps (4FV9J) and jubilee bracelets (44G2JZ). The SKX017 was only offered on the 4FV9JZ rubber strap.

Mine shown below is from 1999, with the 7S26A movement with Roman Day Wheel mounted on an aftermarket oyster bracelet.

LATE EDIT:
Here is an original dial and hand set SKX017 from April 1999 with 7S26A movement with Roman Day Wheel .

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have always enjoyed this watch, so many unique differences like the chapter ring and second hand. When I saw all of the AM parts available for this model just like it's big brother it made me smile. If I ever come across a 015 I will likely pull the trigger even though it is likely to be crazy $$. I paid $70 for my 013 back in '04 and I am happy to see it has such a following.
skx013jubilee.jpg

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
SKXruary 23 - The Seiko 5 replacement series (aka "SK5")

After Seiko killed off the SKX007 series, they were without an entry level diver. Since this thread is based on the SKX007 and its variants that use the same case, I will mention how the modern Seiko Series 5 should be included, even though they upped the movement to the 4R36 modernized version of the 7S26 offering automatic + hand winding and hacking.

Note that the case design is not just 'similar', it is EXACTLY the same case except:
1. The crown tube, which is a press fit and not the machined case part, has no threads. Therefore the crown does not screw down and there is no longer a 200m dive rating it is now "10 bar".
" Water Resistant 100 Meters / 10 Atmospheres / 10 Bar
This is snorkeling territory. A watch with 100 meters of water resistance has no problem hanging out in the water for a while, and will even be fine on an extended snorkeling excursion.
Diving, however, should still be out of the question." (QUESTIONABLE AT BEST, BAD TO MOST)
2. Drilled lugs which the SKX007 case should have been treated to all along. (GOOD)

Every item that is used in an SKX007 fits the entire 4R36-based Series 5 watch case - chapter ring, bezel, bezel insert, crystal and nylon gasket, dial and hands, straps, case backs - everything right down to the exact rectangular machined slot at 12 o'clock to keep the chapter ring in place. Makes these great starting points for SKX mods as long as you don't plan to do serious water sports or dive.

This is the new SRPD65 which I chose because it is Seiko's first SKX007 case in the gun metal gray color stainless steel. It comes on a matching flat oyster that also fits any SKX007 (naturally).
Like mostly all these new SK5s the case back is an exhibition style. These see-thru case backs were part of the non-locking crown 7S36 Sports Divers that were discontinued many years ago, which came in dozens if not hundreds of case and dial combinations. History is repeating itself here as Seiko churns out new combinations and colors of these SK5s every month.

SRPD65 - SKX007 case with drilled lugs and non-screw down crown with exhibiton case and 4R36 movement:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some of my past SKX/7002’s. These are just the mods. I’ve had about 6 more stock SKX009’s.
A crazy 7002

A restored 7002

Highly modded SKX173

And a modded 007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
I really like the new 5KX logo way better than the old 5 logo, I think they hit a home run with it, especially compared to the Prospex logo. I am happy with myself that I have "resisted" buying a used 5KX or dressKX :) It is only a matter of time though, lol.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
SKXruary 24 - Forerunner to the SKX lineup - 7548-7000 Divers - Dial Design Pioneer

Seiko had the 6309-7290 radical "slim case diver" which later morphed into the 7002-7000 sharing the same "slim case", rectangular dial markers with the double-V at 12 o'clock and automatic movements. While these cases are not the same as the current SKX lineup (there are many differences) this slim case concept carried over through several series of autos and quartz models in both 150m and 200m resistance ratings. Finally this general case geometry morphed its design queues into what became the SKX007 when launched in 1996.

The 7548-7000 diver series was radical when it came out 18 years earlier, in 1978. It was the first mainstream, affordable quartz dive watch on the market.
What is more germane to this thread was how this model debuted a fresh, intriguing, easy to read, classicly simple, new dial layout.
That layout is what we now know as the iconic SKX007 style dial.

Dial Design Language:
Rounded corners triangle at 12
Oblong at 6 and 9
Markers at 6, 9 & 12 have thin lines extending to the center of the dial
Circles at all other hours
Day and Date at 3
Minute marks moved out to the chapter ring
Share similar text lettering and placement

So before we finish up the last 4 days of SKXruary with the last 4 remaining SKX0007 variants, a tip of the hat to the design pioneer 7548-700X divers - a true classic in their own right as well.(y)

7548-7000 JDM Black Dial inspiration to the SKX007 with the 7548-700F Blue Dial inspiration to the SKX009

L to R: SKX007, 7548-7000, 7548-700F & SKX009

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
SKXruary 25 - SKX173

With 4 days to go in SKXrurary and 4 more SKX007 variants to go, begin the final push ! Today it is the SKX173, another fan favorite. This one takes its dial design cues from the 6309-7290 and later the 7002-7000 and a few more after that. See the photo of a 6309-7290 next to the SKX173 - quite similar in the designs.

On SKXruary the 4th we featured its sibling the yellow dial variant known as the SKXA35 or Bumblebee. The SKX173 and SKXA35 bezel looks like a SKX007 bezel but has its own part number (8601 469D vs 469A). Same for the hands too, even though the hour and minute hands seem the same to me as an SKX007, they carry separate part numbers. What makes the SKX173 stand out so famously is the continued use of the "lollipop" style seconds hand 3BX125FBBTS. It is an homage to the 6309-7290 and later watches that used this style dial and sweep hand and part of the DNA of the SKX173.

SKX173 case number is found both as 7S26-0028 and 7S26-0029, never the 7S26-0020. It only ever came on a 22mm wavy vent rubber OEM strap, never on a bracelet.

Pictured here is a SINGAPORE dial with matching "MOV'T SINGAPORE" case back. Some folks call this the 'rare' version. It is not a rare version, it is simply a reflection of the date of manufacture of the watch. Between 1996 and 2007 the SKX lineup was powered by the 7S26A that was made in Singapore. After that, they moved the 7S26 manufacture to Malaysia where it was to the end through the 7S26B and 7S26C calibers. So, a Singapore Dial SKX173 is nothing more than an earlier example. If you see an SKX173 Singapore dial powered by a 7S26B or 7S26C, those are replacement movements.

As shown this SKX173 hails from March 2004, 7S26A movement, therefore Singapore. Simple, really.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
SKXruary 26 - The SKX399

Today it is the SKX399, black dial - black bezel. This is one of the rarer versions with no known Seiko promos or advertisements that refer to it, very much a stealth issue from Seiko.

These are often referred to as "The Phillipines SKX". The only known documented new purchases made through ADs were made in the Phillipines. There is some debate as to whether there were ever sold in other countries but like most I favor only in the Phillipines when new. Finding one that is in good condition is getting harder and harder and these have a real collectability factor.

Known dates of manufacture range from 1997 earliest to 2011 latest, with other years in between. It's a hard watch to find as there aren't many out there, so the production runs must have been smaller and infrequent. This reference deserves a good case back history research project much like the awesome work by member RossR in his 62MAS case back chronicling thread.

At first glance you can see the dial is similar to the SKX173 using the "Inverted arrows at 12 with rectangular markers" dial design but when you look closely the marker at 12 is very different. Most importantly, the dial markers are outlined in chrome. The lume color is not the stark white of most SKXs but rather a bit on the cream color side. Comes with matching lume colored hands (hour hand 1FH090FABE1 and minute hand 2FX125FABE1). Uses the exact bezel as the SKX007 (8601469A) and the same chapter ring.

Dial comparison photos borrowed from this excellent article on the SKX399 on quartzimodo.com's Seiko web site: quartzimodo SKX399 Article HERE

.......................SKX399 ....................................... SKX173
Borrowed from quartzimodo.com

The SKX399 case code is always 7S26-0020.

Strap options from the factory included both the wavy vent rubber and the Seiko jubilee.

My example including a lume shot at the end, something I have not seen elsewhere on the web !

SKX399 Lume Shot:

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing all your SKX's. Here are my three lollipops. Other than the black bullit are there any others?
Beautiful threesome there - excellent thanks for sharing !

Yes just the four you mention have the lollipop:

Your 3 watches (L to R: SKXA35 Bumblebee, SKXA55 Orange Bullet and SKX173)

plus this SKXA53 Black Bullet as you say:

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
SKXruary 27 - The SKX401 (aka The Pepsi SKX399)

Well if yesterday's SKX399 is a bit hard to find (there is one up on ebay right now oddly enough), the navy blue dial Pepsi version is truly hard to find.

Remember the debate that lingers on whether the SKX399 is a Philippines only model or perhaps a few other countries? Well this one has an English/Chinese day wheel. Makes you wonder maybe sold in Singapore too? We can't solve this today but I find it interesting.

The SKX401 sets apart by chrome outlined hour markers like the SKX399. Whereas the SKX399 uses the SKX007 bezel (8601469A) and chapter ring, the SKX401 has the same dial color as the SKX009 and uses the same bezel (8601469B) and chapter ring. Hands have same part numbers as the SKX399, creamy lume not stark white.

Clearly the SKX401 is the SKX399 as is the SKX009 to the SKX007. Again always case code 7S26-0020, never a -0028 or -0029.
Came on wavy black rubber strap and the Seiko jubilee.

This is mine pristine example. Being issued only in Asia and perhaps only in the Philippines, when found they have been known to suffer from local prevailing conditions being harsh on the watch.
Not this one. October 2007 on a Strapcode MILTAT president.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts