The Watch Site banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
SKXruary 14 SKX009K

Much like yesterday, an SKX009 on a Crafter Blue fitted end rubber strap.

Difference today is this is an old and rugged slightly faded dial and very faded almost ghost bezel insert. Why fight the fade, why not accentuate and enjoy it? Mounted on a light gray CB10 strap that matches well. This one is bone stock with replacement SKX009 OEM hands and crystal.

Compare to the navy blue strap and dial and bezel of yesterday in the second photo.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My old friend Mike's (RIP) ghost pepsi 009 on the USGI strap that it spent 15 hard years at sea on. This watch spent 10 days submerged after hurricane Irma until his boat could be raised. I think it is a great example of how tough these watches are, it has never been opened or worked on.
mike's ghost pepsi.jpg

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
My old friend Mike's (RIP) ghost pepsi 009 on the USGI strap that it spent 15 hard years at sea on. This watch spent 10 days submerged after hurricane Irma until his boat could be raised. I think it is a great example of how tough these watches are, it has never been opened or worked on.
View attachment 464664
Nice that you have your late buddy's watch and the fading / patina that you know comes from years at sea not to mention the Irma chapter, that makes very special story.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had originally procured the watch for him, so he would stop wearing his 6105 everyday. I inherited the 6105 as well and it has gone on to a happy new owner, this SKX is not going anywhere anytime soon I hope :)

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
SKXruary 15th

This week through Sunday I'll be featuring more of my various SKX007-based mods before getting back into the rest of the original SEIKO line-up to finish up the month. Post pics of your mods too, let's see what creations you've worked up to spice up this thread. We've seen some really nice watches this SKXruary keep 'em coming !

This one is a generic PVD black case and bezel from a no name case outfit. It is true to the SKX007 in size and proportion, profile, everything about it is a pure copy. Amazing what a laser scanner hooked up to a CRC machine can turn out these days. My goal was to do a take on the SRPC49 Black Series version of the SRP777 cushion case re-release.

I did a whole thread on this one no sense in repeating here: Got Bored made an all black SKX007 mod

To keep things instantly recognizable went with NOS Seiko SKX007J dial (J meaning the extra line of "21 JEWELS" text at 6 o'clock and the dial code text 'MADE IN JAPAN'), OEM chapter ring and crystal. SKX007 strap subbing in a black PVD clasp.

Cool exhibition case back off an old 7S36-based early sport diver and a lume shot to finish up this feature on SKXruary 15th.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
SKXruary 16th Bronze Case Mod

This SKX009 uses the amazing Crystaltimes all-bronze case with the coveted drilled lugs. No PVD or color casing here, this is Real Deal Bronze machined out of 100% bar stock C52100/CuSn8 BRONZE alloy. It should develop that awesome true bronze patina over time, and I am eager to see how it goes, here is how the case looks new (CT website photo):

Dial and Chapter ring: Older OEM SKX009K deep navy blue dial and chapter ring with that cool coloration (courtesy of Russ Murray thank you Sir!)
NOS OEM crystal
NOS SRP775 hour and minute hands for their gold outline with an NOS proper SKX007/SKX009 seconds hand.
4R36 movement with Kanji day wheel
WatchGecko maroon and navy SKX style insert with perfect hue bronze/gold markings
Navy blue leather strap to complete

One of my personal favorites this month might I add !

·
Special Member
3,235 Posts
^ ^ ^ Also one of my favorites. Really well done - beautiful combination of individual components. Looking forward to seeing how the bronze will turn over time - I imagine it will look awesome with some age and patina. Just Beautiful :)

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
SKXruary 17 - SKX007 Titanium Case Mod

Well if you can feel the weight of yesterday's bronze case mod, this titanium case mod should look feather light. It comes in on the strap at only 65 grams all-in. See my previous post about this build:
Titanium Case SKX007 Mod Build HERE

Namoki watches put out an-all Titanium case so this build is based off that as a starting point. NOS OEM Seiko SKX007K dial, chapter ring and hand set.

Dropped in a 6R15B movement with the day of week modification and - new since the post about the build - found a proper decorated 6R15 rotor to complete the movement upgrade.

So light on the wrist it is unlike any other genuine Seiko issue or mod we will feature this month. Hope you enjoy:

·
Special Member
3,235 Posts
^ ^ ^ Another exceptional Mod :) To my eye it looks like there are sharper lines to the case - more angled - and I like it. Sort of reminds me of the Original Titanium Samurai's with their sharper case lines.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
^ ^ ^ Another exceptional Mod :) To my eye it looks like there are sharper lines to the case - more angled - and I like it. Sort of reminds me of the Original Titanium Samurai's with their sharper case lines.
And the titanium is highly polished where the SKX007 stainless steel has the same polish. I thought SEIKO master craftsmen used Zaratsu to accomplish this feat.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
SKXruary 18 - "Fifty Five Fathoms" SKX007 Mod

One of the more iconic Seiko watch mods is to use a Fifty Five Fathoms (or just "FFF") dial. They come is a few variations, this is a Dagaz re-issue of what they said was true to the original JakeB version in terms of marker styles, I am no expert but I know I like what I see. This FFF dial has the gold marker outlines.

From there on out it can be open season, from Swiss style hand sets (Snowflake and Mercedes come to mind) or as done here the iconic Seiko diver arrows, this one using the gold color SRP775 hour and minute hands. The funky red 5 seconds hand was selected to match the red "55" on the dial, it is OEM Seiko NOS hand for the SSA171 (4R37-00T0).

I chose the SRPD73 chapter ring and a Tudor Black Bay style insert on a Strapcode MILTAT MT010 oyster.
Final touch was going with an acryllic dome for 'the look'.

Just goes to show how versatile the SKX007 platform can be. It's like a blank slate for the modder to create from. No date on this dial, but it's featured on SKXruary 18th so enjoy !

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
SKXruary 19 - "Rally Mod"

This one uses an older early 7S26 dress watch dial and hand set coupled with an SRPD95 chapter ring, an aftermarket rally insert and a Dagaz red seconds hand with the square lollipop to match. Roman day wheel sort of a JDM rally look too.

Vintage 315WXXGN crystal with heavy bevel makes it look 'period correct' if you will.

Rally leather strap with matching red stiching. Not much but to my eye it works nicely.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
SKXrurary 20 - SKX007 Two-Tone & Black Mod

Using a classic SNZH57 black dial with gold markers and silver accents, a new hand set off one of the SRPD "SK5" Sports models, nice blue lume under cover of the dark. It's a 3 o'clock dial so feet clipped back dial dotted.

Went with a silver DLC sub style insert and bezel to tone down the gold accents.

Uncle Seiko curved end waffle designed to slip into the SKX007 case for fitted profile. Our Favorite Uncle has a great strap option for the SKX like no one else.

Again not much to it but it gives almost a dress watch flare to a classic diver package.

PXL_20210220_041326675~2.jpg

81 - 100 of 130 Posts