The Watch Site banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Used-to-have: the SKXA47 White Knight.
Lovely watch those White Knights, so well proportioned. Love the waffle dial with old school pie pan outer edge dial treatment. Congrats it is a great looker.

That said, with the crown and 3 o'clock and symmetric crown guards, not part of the SKX007-case series being featured here this month of SKXruary.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Lovely watch those White Knights, so well proportioned. Love the waffle dial with old school pie pan outer edge dial treatment. Congrats it is a great looker.

That said, with the crown and 3 o'clock and symmetric crown guards, not part of the SKX007-case series being featured here this month of SKXruary.
Got it, I thought all SKX models qualified.

·
Registered
382 Posts

I was wondering if 023/033s were going to be part of this series. As a side note I purchased two SKX171s for gifts and chose them because at the time (i was overseas) they were less expensive than 007s. I was not a fan of the bezel but I liked the dial and the watch overall. One was for a nephew and I am tempted to see if he still has it, but I doubt he does. I love the dials on them.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I was wondering if 023/033s were going to be part of this series. As a side note I purchased two SKX171s for gifts and chose them because at the time (i was overseas) they were less expensive than 007s. I was not a fan of the bezel but I liked the dial and the watch overall. One was for a nephew and I am tempted to see if he still has it, but I doubt he does. I love the dials on them.
And as you know back in the day it was super common for people to buy the SKX171 for its dial and then swap in an SKX007 bezel. I was lucky in that I have now gotten 4 of these variants all with proper OEM bezels which are definitely polarizing, some love it for the dress-up factor and some quickly swap it out !

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I was initially going to build a SKX based TST, and with that in mind I traded a spare NOS SKX007 dial ....

for a 'damaged' SKX case, with a member on here in Australia.
Well the 'damage was quite extensive but as I was intending to get it TST'd I wasn't bothered....

As an 'interim' solution I decided to exercise the precision filing skills that I had been taught some 50 years earlier as an apprentice instrument technician and using a selection of needle files and various grades of 'wet & dry' paper ended up with this.....

I managed to source some genuine NOS SKX hands and paired them with a NOS SKX009 dial, a 7s26 donor movement from an ebay bought dress watch and a genuine bezel and hardlex crystal ..........
It stayed like this for a while,

And then I decided it needed a new look so fitted a Crystal times coin edge bezel and an OSC Planet Ocean insert and at the same time replaced the tired 7s26 movement with a new NH36 one and a 'Dragon Shrouds Jumbo' crown and shroud.

but wasn't enamoured with the black plastic Dragon Shroud 'look' so sold the shroud on..
Currently like this...

Never have got round to having it TST'd;)

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I was initially going to build a SKX based TST, and with that in mind I traded a spare NOS SKX007 dial ....

for a 'damaged' SKX case, with a member on here in Australia.
Well the 'damage was quite extensive but as I was intending to get it TST'd I wasn't bothered....

As an 'interim' solution I decided to exercise the precision filing skills that I had been taught some 50 years earlier as an apprentice instrument technician and using a selection of needle files and various grades of 'wet & dry' paper ended up with this.....

I managed to source some genuine NOS SKX hands and paired them with a NOS SKX009 dial, a 7s26 donor movement from an ebay bought dress watch and a genuine bezel and hardlex crystal ..........
It stayed like this for a while,
View attachment 464249

And then I decided it needed a new look so fitted a Crystal times coin edge bezel and an OSC Planet Ocean insert and at the same time replaced the tired 7s26 movement with a new NH36 one and a 'Dragon Shrouds Jumbo' crown and shroud.
View attachment 464250

but wasn't enamoured with the black plastic Dragon Shroud 'look' so sold the shroud on..
Currently like this...
View attachment 464251

Never have got round to having it TST'd;)
Tremendous Post ! The beauty of the SKX007 case!

I like the current mod state. Looks awesome!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
well can i play too
you all got me wanting a Seiko SKX again
i have been wanting a Seiko SKX011J
since i saw Kelly Rayburn's he modified years ago

Grammar and i even talked about me modifying one after me seeing it
and sadly i was not able to buy it then and kinda moved on to other things
but yesterday the same seller contacted me with a much lower price than before
and asked if i was still interested and i was and decided what not get it
he sold it to me with lots of extras bands
along with the original parts it came with new
as he was the original owner too which made it great as well
it will need work to make it right again for sure and i can not wait to start it
thank you all for being great enablers....
it will not stay this way for very long
God Bless,John

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
well can i play too
you all got me wanting a Seiko SKX again
i have been wanting a Seiko SKX011J
since i saw Kelly Rayburn's he modified years ago

Grammar and i even talked about me modifying one after me seeing it
and sadly i was not able to buy it then and kinda moved on to other things
but yesterday the same seller contacted me with a much lower price than before
and asked if i was still interested and i was and decided what not get it
he sold it to me with lots of extras bands
along with the original parts it came with new
as he was the original owner too which made it great as well
it will need work to make it right again for sure and i can not wait to start it
thank you all for being great enablers....
it will not stay this way for very long
God Bless,John
Hahaha yes enablers is what we are !

Seems you got the right deal it looks to be in fine shape, always buy dials and hands they say, this one surely qualifies.

Live that Kelley Radburn subtle mod look, too. Silver and black accents in place of gold. Quite appealing.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
SKXruary 10th

The last of the three different 7S26-7020 case back variants is the SKX169. It is noted for using that magical navy blue dial hue of the SKX009 except of course with the unique chrome outlined dial markers of the SKX171 design, black day & date wheels. It uses the same chapter ring as the SKX009 and the same bezel as the SKX171 (all black painted bezel markers). The SKX169 came only on a 4278JZ Jubliee bracelet.

When sold in the US it carried the regional case back 7S26-7029 as is typical ends is "9" for North America) and reference SDS097. As a 7S26-7029 it came on both rubber and the jubilee bracelet choices.

This is the only SKX007 variant that is eluding me as of today. Some day I hope to find one, or at least a dial. Keeps it fun to continue the hunt I suppose (nah, who am I kidding, I want to find one and get this series complete!). So in an attempt to come up 'close' I have taken a pristine SKX171 (with the original dial and chapter ring put aside safely for converting back) and lightly modded it to approximate the look. This one features an SKX009 chapter ring with an aftermarket SKX033 style navy blue dial for a 'close impersonation'. I show it here on a 44G1ZI to continue the close approximation.

My Fauskx169:

REAL SKX169 web photo:

·
Special Member
3,235 Posts
A few years ago I found 7002-7029 produced before the SKX series here in Thailand at a Junk Shop. Watch is in rough condition. Looks almost the same as the SKX171 except it is Date Only (No Day like the SKX171). My understanding is the 7002-7029 is one the rarest 7002's.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
SKXruary 11th - Stock SKX007 (7S26-0020) on Jubilee

On the first day we got rolling with an NOS SKX007 with rubber strap. Today it's the same idea, the SKX007. This is the SKX007K, meaning the non-JDM version lacking the "21 Jewels" text at 6 o'clock.
It is fully the SKX007K2 because it is on the jubilee bracelet.
The full number indicates which one it is mounted on, both use the 22 fat spring bars part C220FS:
SKX007J1 = on rubber strap part number 4FY8JZ
SKX007J2 = on jubilee bracelet part number 44G1-J-I (identical to 44G1-Z-I)
SKX007K1 = on rubber strap part number 4FY8JZ
SKX007K2 = on jubilee bracelet part number 44G1-Z-I

The SKX007 is such a versatile piece as you can see in photo #2.
On the rubber it's a straight tool watch ready for swimming and diving (non-saturated) or yard work or just plain hard life land living.
Pop it on the jubilee with its PCLs (polished center links) and brushed outer links and it's still ready for underwater adventure but adds a chance to be a bit more formal and dresses up or down as you do.

This one has a case back dated November 2014 complete with NOS blue case back sticker still attached and a rarely worn bracelet. Looks as good as new but no guilt wearing it around.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
SKXruary 12

This SKX007 is an earlyt 7S26-0020 "J" with the extra text "21JEWELS" and the "MADE IN JAPAN" in the dial code. Red "DIVER'S 200m" still very red and unfaded. Kanji day wheel. The hour markers have gone a bit creamy colored (a bit of lume rot in the close-up) so I used a slightly domed crystal and a black and cream color ceramic upward sloping Submariner style bezel insert.

Comparing this one to the stock SKX007 on rubber it shows how a few minor changes can give it that subtle different look.

·
Special Member
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
SKXruary 13th 7S26-0020 SKX009

First time showing an SKX009 on rubber. This one features a Crafter Blue curved end strap in a navy blue that matches the blue color of the pepsi bezel and the magical blue SKX009 dial. Fully lumed chapter ring and a low dome to trick this out a bit. Otherwise stock.

61 - 80 of 130 Posts