The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since it was announced SEIKO would exit the SKX007 and its same-case siblings and variants, I have been more appreciative than ever of the beauty of the 7S26-0020 case design. The slim case from the 6309-7290, 7548-7000 and 7002 diver series just wears so well, on anything from a bracelet or a rubber strap or leather as chosen. Not too big, not small, very much 'right sized', well balanced and comfortable. Launched in 1996 with the 7S26A and retired in 2019 with the 7S26C, it is a diver watch of legendary value and durability.

The SKX007 case has spawned an entire cottage industry with every part now available aftermarket. You can drop in a 7S26A-B-C/7S36, 4R35/4R36 and even the 6R15 movements - we'll have some of each this month. The SKX007 is a Modder's dream come true, with unlimited renditions possible limited only on the modder's creativity and budget. We'll see some of those this month, too.

This led me to try to collect all the official 7S26-powered SKX007-cased variants ever put into production. As the month of SKXruary unfolds I think you will enjoy the entire group. That plus a series of 'mods' and we have a chance to feature a different SKX007-based watch every day this month of February.

So I hope this month-long journey brings entertainment and imparts a bit of knowledge.

This thread is open to all ! Showcase your variants and mods as we go along. The theme is "SKX007" variants originally powered by the venerable 7S26 workhorse.

Hopefully it will be worthwhile !

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Monday Feb 1, Day #1 of SKXruary.

Grounding the discussion with the base model on which all the rest is based upon – the ICONIC Seiko SKX007 aka 7S26-0020. The SKX007 properly comes on a wavy rubber as shown or the 44G1-Z-I Jubilee bracelet.

Black dial, chapter ring and bezel insert. Seiko arrow hands and the reverse meatball seconds hand. Dial design inspired by and carried over from the 7548-7000 precursor.

This one is the US version, as the dial is the more plain version and lacks the “21 Jewels” text above 6 o’clock that the JDM versions would feature. SKX007K. SKX007J dials to follow.

This one is NOS never worn case back 95XXXX so it’s May 2019. That’s the latest month I have seen yet (outside of service cases, coming up on Feb 3!) but as always I am prepared for a later one to emerge so if you have one please post it!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Cool idea! I am still wearing my SKX011J on its OEM Jubilee bracelet. Like you, I greatly admire the SKX series.
This particular variant looks much better IRL. Pics don’t quite capture how special it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is gorgeous
Thank u for sharing it with us
I have wanted for a long time
Very well done for sure
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A really great thread idea! Looking forward to seeing your collection. I have two examples both un-modded an 013 and a 009. Here is my baby bro 013 on a jubilee;
View attachment 463649
Oh yes the baby bro. Looks great !

Definitely a must-see part of this review, will be featured later in SKXruary !

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tuesday Feb 2, Day #2 of SKXruary

Today we will see the first of many mod watches based off the SKX007 case. It's a ubiquitous platform for modders to jump off from creating their mods. We'll see a whole week's worth later on this month. Today's ground-up build captures the essence of 'aftermarket modding parts' seeing how every case part is an aftermarket mod item:
  • Crystaltimes SKX007 case, with the cool lug holes (Seiko, why didn't you include these?)
  • Coin edge Bezel
  • Blue Ceramic insert
  • Dagaz stainless chapter ring with minute marker numbers and minute hashes.
  • Domed Crystal to clear the coin edge bezel
  • Sterile case back
  • Yobokies President bracelet

Inside preserving the SEIKO spirit its movement is a JDM-version SKX009J. Note how the dial is the Japanese Domestic Market version with the extra line of text at 6 o'clock, "21 JEWELS". Nicely faded to a creamy lume color and the JDM text has taken on a faded to yellow matching patina. Kanji day wheel of course.

Old photo shows height with the coin edge and ceramic insert, dome required:

Coin edge bezel and Crystaltime case lug holes (so cool and so useful)

Sterile back

·
First Lady
1,301 Posts
Date getting ready to turn on my SKX009J, which was hiding in a drawer. Serial number dates it to July, 2011. I bought it new in perhaps 2012. I need to start wearing it more, and buy yet another rattly Seiko Jubilee for it. Because of my many watches, it literally still looks brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,654 Posts
This one was my first mod when I fell in love with Dagaz's "Combat Rock" around 2012. It was a sold out model and forced me to try and build my own.
It has since gotten it's original dial and hands back.

Rob

Dagaz on nato.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what can you tell me about the SKX173 and how it falls in time line of the SKX line? thx. =)

<* shark >>><
Hey Larry patience is a virtue as the SKX173 comes near the end on SKXruary 25th.

Many folks' favorite, dial design carryover from 7002s and 6309-7290s. But there there are ITS variants :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is an excellent watch on the 2nd of Feb. Proves that you don't need to wreck a perfectly good SKX to build your favorite mod.

I have it on good authority, that that particular CT case once housed an SKX173 dial and movement. Funny the SKX173 came up after you posted the CT.

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is an excellent watch on the 2nd of Feb. Proves that you don't need to wreck a perfectly good SKX to build your favorite mod.

I have it on good authority, that that particular CT case once housed an SKX173 dial and movement. Funny the SKX173 came up after you posted the CT.
Thank you for the case Ben ! You WOULD have it on good authority as it was yours. :)

·
Special Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what can you tell me about the SKX173 and how it falls in time line of the SKX line? thx. =)

<* shark >>><
Even though the SKX173 bezel looks exactly the same to my eye as the SKX007, it does have its own part number (8601 469D vs 469A). Same for the hands too, even though the hour and minute hands seem the same to me, Clearly the SKX173 seconds hand is famously different ( regular 6309-style lollipop).
5F6F2EDC-AAA4-4EA9-B8AD-406136376A38.jpeg

1 - 20 of 130 Posts