The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SKX173 that I recently bought used. The watch is gaining just shy of 30 sec/hr, which seems to be out of range of any regulation adjustment.

I tried the "gently whack it" method discussed on WUS (and other forums) to dislodge a hung-up hairspring - but to no avail. On visual inspection with a loupe, all seems to be in order, anyway.

I honestly didn't pay all that much for the watch, so I'd like to avoid a trip to a watch repair shop. Any thoughts? Things I may be missing?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
When one of my watches was gaining like that it was all down the the balance spring coils touching each other as xzqt said. I had it gaining anything from 20 seconds per minute too a few seconds per hour. I used a balance, balance spring and bridge from another watch movement I had spare and that sorted it until I can sort out the original :) Not saying that is your prob but it was for me anyway. I could see the coils touching as the watch movement worked away.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Another possibility is contamination on the hairspring, usually excess oil from the jewel. Remove the balance assembly and rinse in solvent (I use Shellite or dry cleaning fluid) allow to dry and re install will tell if that's the problem.
Rob

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the many suggestions!

Looking into demagnetization should be the easiest, so I'll try that first. If not, I'll disassemble the balance to look for a tangle. If I rinse the balance assembly in solvent, will it harm the jewel, or should I disassemble further just down to the spring itself?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Another possibility is contamination on the hairspring, usually excess oil from the jewel. Remove the balance assembly and rinse in solvent (I use Shellite or dry cleaning fluid) allow to dry and re install will tell if that's the problem.
Rob
I've had that many times on Fusee ships clocks where the owners decided to try WD40 as a clock oil :eek:

·
Registered
4,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I held the watch up to a fairly inexpensive camping compass that I have and it deflected the needle 35 degrees! Will let you all know if the problem is fixed when I find the time/place to have it demagnetized. Thanks again for the help - I'm not sure I would have come up with this on my own!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts